Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Football Season Betting League

Options
  • 17-07-2006 2:26pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭

I am someone who takes an occasional punt on football matches but nothing heavy, mostly for fun. I was just thinking that it might be fun to have a betting league for the new football season which runs something like as follows:

1. Start off with €100 in the fund only for this bet purposes.
    2. Each week place only one €5 treble at least (can have more than 3 games, but only one bet).
    3. Minimum of 20 weeks participation during the season.
    4. Limited to football, all games in all countries, starting Sat 12th August.
    5. Post your bets in this forum before that weekends games, with running totals.

This won't result in huge profits (probably) or losses (definitely) for anyone I would imagine but it will be a good way to show your football prowess and impress all those that do much worse than you.

This idea might bomb, or someone might have a similiar but better idea, in which case brilliant but I said I'd get the ball rolling with a suggestion.

Post here if interested.............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Definitely a good idea, but the treble thing could get a bit cumbersome. I would suggest one single bet, and a point structure. Everyone posts their single bet, accompanied by the price, and the firm offering that price, eg

2 pts Chelsea HT / FT 1.91 (10/11) (Lads)
    1 pt Man City HT / FT 6.00 (5/1) (Paddy Power)

...and so forth. Advantage is that no player can go bust, they can only go into negative points territory in the league table. Another advantage is that the checking is basic stuff, whereas for the trebles, the person posting the league table 2/3 times per week is going to have to look up all the prices in the acca, and then calculate the winnings. Limiting the thing to singles only, and encouraging/requesting people to post decimal as well as fractional odds will make the whole thing run a lot easier. Just a thought, like...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sounds good lads, will be taking part. few more weeks to go still though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I'd be up for this.

Would suggest max 50% of starting bank as bet. Max 20 players for the first 'season' (until 26th December)
    Max trebles.

League table could be posted each week in a new thread along with the odds for the current week to choose from. Players would then post their bets in this thread.

TYPE OF BETS
    Only ONE BET each week which is chosen from the WEEKEND card (Friday - Sunday). Players can bet a SINGLE, DOUBLE or TREBLE.

It is NOT MANDATORY for players to bet every week but if you go MORE THAN 2 WEEKS without placing a bet you will be immediately removed from the competition. (See also Players Eliminated Under Minimum Play Rule below).

METHOD OF POSTING BETS
    To make life as easy as possible for the League Admins please post your bets in the format shown in the example below.

Newcastle v Charlton (1) 1.53
    Ipswich v Norwich (X) 3.20
    Southend v Hull (2) 2.50
    £10 treble

PLACING OF BETS
    All bets must be placed BEFORE 1500hrs ON A SATURDAY including selections from Sunday matches. This is to ensure everybody is in the same boat every week. Players who opt to pick a Friday match or an early Saturday kick off, will of course have to post prior to the earliest kick off time in their bet.

Any bet that includes a match that has already taken place will be reduced accordingly and that particular match declared void. ie. Treble to a Double, Double to a Single. If it was a single then the bet becomes void and a no-show awarded unless another Single bet is posted in its place. This 'substitute' bet will only be allowed on singles as we are here to encourage tipsters to take part each week not to create more no shows, and this amendment gives everyone a chance if a mistake has been made.

The only exception to this will be in a case where the player concerned would be eliminated from the contest under the minimum play rule. In these circumstances the player will be "fined" 25% of his current bank holding.

RANGE OF BETS
    Selections must be from EP-E3 and SP-S3 only and Conf. In weeks where league matches are reduced owing to FA and Scottish Cup ties, you CAN bet on cup matches. Internationals may also be included if the fixture list is drastically reduced due to same.

STAKES
    Everyone will start with a bank of e100. Players are allowed to bet UP TO A MAXIMUM OF 50% of their CURRENT bank holding on any weekly bet.
    In any event where the stake exceeds the 50% bank, it will be reduced accordingly to half of current Bank.

ODDS REFERENCE
    A list of odds will be published weekly for ease of reference. ALL players must quote odds from the published list and should post these with their bets. The fact that the odds might change over the course of the week is irrelevant. This is to ensure everybody uses identical odds.

POSTPONED OR ABANDONED MATCHES
    If a player bets on a match which is postponed or abandoned at any time that match will be disregarded from the bet. For example a double would then become a single etc same as the bookies would treat the bet. If it was a Single then the bet will be void and no penalty will be issued.

Any game that is postponed CAN be replaced but the whole bet must be re-posted before the 3pm Sat deadline and NO games in the bet can have already took place. (If a Sat game is called off you cannot substitute it with a Sunday game if its later than 3pm Sat)

EDITING OF BETS
    It is no longer possible to edit posts in this forum (except moderators). If you make a mistake when posting a bet eg with the odds, you should show the correction in a separate post. Under no circumstances are selection changes to be made unless there is a clear error in the teams listed in the original post. Any bet otherwise altered will be declared void.

Forgot to say the most important bit. There should also be prizes. As you can probably tell i've stroked a lot of this from another forum. They have prizes sponsored by bookmakers to the order of around e100,e50,e20 for 1st, 2nd & 3rd respectively. In return, it is from this bookmaker that the odds are posted to choose from each week and so they get a free plug at the outset of every week. No doubt people will be tempted to have a real bet having seen the odds every week so it's good for the bookie too.

Paddy Power are fairly active over in the poker forum so & had banner advertising at one stage so.....(cheeky)

Alternatively, players could throw a fiver in the kitty to enter and a meal voucher or something for the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd be up for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

Sounds good:)

Premiership kicks off on the 19th August (4 weeks time) but the Championship kicks off 2 weeks earlier on the 5th.

Saturday, 19 August 2006
    Arsenal v Aston Villa, 15:00
    Bolton v Tottenham, 17:15
    Everton v Watford, 15:00
    Newcastle v Wigan, 15:00
    Portsmouth v Blackburn, 15:00
    Reading v Middlesbrough, 15:00
    Sheff Utd v Liverpool, 12:45
    West Ham v Charlton, 15:00

Sunday, 20 August 2006
    Chelsea v Man City, 16:00
    Man Utd v Fulham, 13:30

Saturday, 05 August 2006

Barnsley v Cardiff, 15:00
    Birmingham v Colchester, 15:00
    Burnley v QPR, 15:00
    Ipswich v Crystal Palace, 15:00
    Leeds v Norwich, 15:00
    Luton v Leicester, 12:30
    Plymouth v Wolverhampton, 15:00
    Preston v Sheff Wed, 15:00
    Southend v Stoke, 15:00
    West Brom v Hull, 15:00

Sunday, 06 August 2006
    Coventry v Sunderland, 13:30
    Derby v Southampton, 16:00

Scotland usually kicks off earlier than the prem aswell so I don't know if it would be best to wait until all leagues are playing? Or just start it on the weekend of the 5th as those in the league who don't wanna bet don't have to do so every week, and can wait for the prem to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

count me in

sticky material me reckons....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

sign me up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

How about we all set up Play BetFair accounts? We can manage the league table here in a thread and let BetFair manage each individuals balances and bets? It's completely transparent so no one can cheat and BetFair does most of the donkey work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That seems like a nice idea. What do you think Dom?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm up for it.

Betfair accounts it is...

Trilla wrote:
    Betfair accounts it is...
    is it?i think we need something written in stone if you know what i mean,its still up in the air tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ecksor wrote:
    That seems like a nice idea. What do you think Dom?
    I have no idea what is going on here anymore, too many different suggestions.

5starpool wrote:
    true, we need it sorting big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Glad I didn't miss the start, we could have got started at the weekend, what with the Scottish action and all that. Play Betfair accounts might be an idea alright, but if PP are willing to sponsor and offer prizes, well then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Count me in, betfair suits fine

5starpool wrote:

I mean the Play Betfair suggestion above my post.
    How about we all set up Play BetFair accounts? We can manage the league table here in a thread and let BetFair manage each individuals balances and bets? It's completely transparent so no one can cheat and BetFair does most of the donkey work.

• Advertisement

I'll happily keep track of things and manage the league table if no one else wants to do it. Heck, I'll even offer a €20 prize to whoever is winning at Christmas to drum up some interest :D

I don't know if you follow the Soccer forum shenanigans but all I can say is ... don't mention the war ...

ecksor wrote:
    I don't know if you follow the Soccer forum shenanigans but all I can say is ... don't mention the war ...
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

ecksor wrote:
    :eek:

All the more reason to pay out rather than deal with that sort of commotion! Of course, I have every confidence that my tips are far superior to everyone elses here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Is this going to be just for the Premier League?

Culchie wrote:
    Is this going to be just for the Premier League?
    i would say all leagues tbh

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can't check that betfair thingy as I can't get to gambling sites at work, but I could probably manage to keep myself in it until I get my new BB connection sorted. Is it not true though that you cannot do accumulators on Betfair? I haven't really used Betfair too often tbh. If you can't do accumulators then you will need to bet bigger amounts to win money. Bigger bets mean more chance to go busto and this isn't something I was looking to do when I started this thread.

If you can do accumulators then ignore me and I'll go for that. Raskolnikov has volunteered to administor, and since no money actually changes hands then there is no threat of corruption. I don't think a €20 bonus is needed either, but nice touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

only accumulators i have seen on betfair are doubles. I dont know if play betfair allow them though.

I think we should stick to the way we have started with wyndhams thread. Everyone should post up their results as. This will limit the work for Raskolnikov.

I think it should just be Scottish and English football. Wouldnt really care if it included Seire A and La liga though.

• Advertisement

As long as everyone posts the username they're using, it should be easy to track progress. I reckon that we'll start this thing officially next week to coincide with the start of the Premier League season, this gives a week for everyone to throw their hats into the ring. If this is ok with everyone, then you should be able to go off and create your playbetfair account, just make sure not to place bets on games that start before Saturday 12th of August!

Advertisement