Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel cant figure out what is wrong with my car

Options
  • 17-07-2006 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have taken my car to Opel (Ireland) to ask them to fix the noises my car is making, got the car back and said they took it for a test drive and although they can heard the noises, they dont know whats wrong.

1. Mental gridding noise coming from the rear, they said its the wheel bearing, but dont place which one, even when the car is banked left and right the noise doesnt seem to come from any particular side. More noticable when in the drivers seat as confirm by the girlfriend when she drove it.

2. A squeak noise everything i realise the clutch pedal. Noise is coming from the front of the car.

They said they had the car hooked up to the computer and found no faults with the car.

Noise is still there, said they to come at the next service.

Any ideas. Change both wheel bearings at the rear??

1999 1.4 16v Eco with 89k miles on the clock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jack the car up and spin the rear wheels one at a time, if the bearing is that bad you will hear it grinding.

As for hooking the computer up to it...shows what idiots they are, how will that diagnose a physical problem. Diagnostic computer will only should up sensor related problems.

Try a good independant garage, they will probably diagnose it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Agreed, what made them think the computer could diagnose either of these problems. If they've charged you for that diagnostic, go back and demand your money back. The wheel bearing should be simple for any half assed mechanic to diagnose, they just need to get the car on a lift. The clutch could be anything from the pivot joint of the pedal needing lubrication to the thrust bearing being on the way out. Again, any half assed mechanic should be able to diagnose once they get the car on a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Did you take to Monaghans main Opel dealer? (don't want to name names)!
    If you take take it somewhere else as their mechanics are woeful. Had a problem with a radiator mounting on a Vectra (which was a known fault) and they couldn't locate it. All they had to do was ask Opel!. went to another Dublin based Opel garage and problem sorted first time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

It was free.

They hooked it up to the computer to see if there was any other faults, sorry lads.

Wheel bearing ill try, its a bit obvious now that you have said, jack it up like.

The car running grand. I had a busted wheel bearing on a Clio so I know what they should sound like.

The thing is that you cant change the wheel bearing on an Astra, you have to change the wheel hub. Thats what makes it expensive to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A squeak noise everything i realise the clutch pedal. Noise is coming from the front of the car.
    They said they had the car hooked up to the computer and found no faults with the car.

I have a splendid Dougal style image in my head :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Good advice there from mloc123.

If not a wheel bearing could be a sticky/binding brake shoe. I'm assuming you've drum brakes... Either way jack up each wheel and spin...

Clutch squeak is most likely clutch pivot. A bit of grease usually sorts them out. Quick simple job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

kluivert wrote:
    The thing is that you cant change the wheel bearing on an Astra, you have to change the wheel hub. Thats what makes it expensive to change.

Are you 100% sure about that? Find a good mechanic; there's always a way around things like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hondas with drum brakes at the back are the same: the bearing is non-replaceable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

btw, you have checked the brakes I assume, and it is not down to the rivits on teh liners?.
    Disks are not hitting calipers, etc... so no silly stuff of that nature.
    Are the brakes incl handbrake working ok.
    Is there oil in teh gearbox?.

Sometimes bearings can make more noise than they warrant for the amount of wear. But it is easy to check. jack up the car onto blocks. leave teh brakes off.
    rotate each wheel and listen. If it is a bad one, it may, should growl/rumple.
    If that does not turn up anything, grab the wheel at the top and bottom and rock the wheel in and out, if you can. if you can, bad news and a likely worn bearing.

Also, check shafts for lose balance/vibration dampers and exhausta for loose joints and heatcheilds.

Fey, the wheel bearing is built into the wheel hub, and thats the way it comes from the factory am afraid.

Thanks for the advice ill jack it tonite and give it a go.

It might be the brakes, I have brake drums and the handbrake is not the greatest, you have to pull it up all the all for it to hold.

The squeak is happening anytime I go over a bump but only once, or as soon as i put my foot on the accelator after releasing the clutch.

• Advertisement

If that squeek is related to both bumps and letting the clutch in, i'd look at your suspension bushings, dampers and tie rods.

I was hoping that no one would mention bushings, they tend to go around the 90k miles mark on Astras. Friend has a 00 Astra Bushings are going, and his last astra 1997 the bushings went on that as well.

The steering wheel is aligned slightly to the left, which i thought was the bushings are on their way out.

A grand shoudl fix the whole lot and spare change left over for a few other bits and pieces I want done.

Exhaust joints often squeek on torque takeup and letoff, due to engine rotation and flexing of the joint. You could check that possibility also... though I think not your situation. It tends to be a metallic squeek.

Bushings often end with a firm knock or thump. as in; Squeeeeek-knock!

Advertisement