Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homer: The Odyssey & The Iliad

Options
  • 17-07-2006 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I am interested in reading both The Odyssey & The Iliad by Homer and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on the best English translation to read.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

For my money the best translation is by Chapman. You can get it in the Wordsworth series (cheap!) in a volume containing the Iliad and the Odyssey. Pope's translation is amazing but it's more of a "version" than a translation, if you know what I mean.

If you're looking for something more modern, the best verse translation of recent times is by Lattimore. It's very faithful to the Greek while at the same time being extremely readable. Fitzgerald and Fagles are good too. EV Rieu's Odyssey is an OK prose translation, while his Iliad is less inspired. Martin Hammond's Iliad isn't great either.

After you've read the Iliad, you should check out Christopher Logue's War Music, which is billed as a "recomposition" of the Iliad.

Advertisement