Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

So anyway, after being once again bitten by the bug, I'm going about constructing an all consuming tyranid swarm. but what i have to ask is: any advice? I have several army makeups in mind, but I don't know what works and what doesn't. how about 4 carnifexes, only with WS improving biomorphs (cheesy I know, but it was just an example). Is buying ****loads of biomorphs worth the reduction in numbers? Termegants or hormagaunts? I know there's an infinite number of tactics, but it's safe to say, some don't work, like a 300pt ultra tooled up carnifex with WS 3, or just trying to keep the synapse creatures in the centre of the swarm etc. Just a little bit of advice on what works and what doesn't.
    Please? Pretty please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MrE158

Snoogans wrote:
    Termegants or hormagaunts?

Genestealers. And lots of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

all the better for my assault cannons to rip apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I've played with the godzilla army (6-8 big bugs) and it can be nasty. The problem is that you're slow and with only a few models (relatively speaking) the loss of each one is that much more critical.

The all genestealer force I've heard nasty things about, but never faced, so can't comment for certain.

I've also played against the small bug horde (200+ gaunts) ... inidividually poor, but there's just so many of them.

Try out a few combos, proxy the models and see what suits your play style best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I've always wanted to do the horde way.. just the thought of having to paint so many 'gaunts..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

zerg rush ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

OK, the army's seen one battle, which went quite well, but it was a 3v3 fun for all the family type battle.
    Anyway, here's what I've got: (without specific biomorphs and powers etc)
    1 tyrand w/ talons and a venom cannon, and 2 tyrant guard:
    Seem to attract way too much attention, but virtually unkillable. took like 287163879414621871469248716 shots to wipe these guys out.

2 zoanthropes: honestly the enemy were scared ****less of these but they did precisely shag all. Warp blasts are a handy "terror" weapon.

3 tyranid warriors: ranged swarm, talons, 2 deathspitters, and a venom cannon (I like venom cannons). There were some very lucky cover saves made and basically these guys did shag all. however they can afford to hang back a little, blasting over the heads of their bretheren before getting stuck in. It didn't quite work out like that, but I still reckon they're sound. Maybe enlarge this squad, get more deathspitters.

3 tyranid warriors with rending claws and devourers: These guys ****ing OWNED. They basically SHREDDED any infantry squad they came into contact with, and that was before they even charged. The claws mean they can bring down armoured vehicles too (though as yet untested in that respect).

8 termegants: nothing but a meat shield, all dead before they could fire a shot. I have without number, but might as well take that off. According to the stat line, they're good for blasting away, and engaging in close assault, but they haven't had a chance. buncha girls.

8 hormagaunts: If they charge first, they're gonna do good. if they assault into cover, they're all gonna die.maybe some extra numbers (yuk, trying to avoid spending more money)

3 swarms: fine for tying units up unless barrage weapons come into it. not as useful as I'd hoped, but they cost nothing.

8 genestealers with talons:absolute firepower magnets, the enemy will go to any lengths to kill these. but (seriously) if only 2 or 3 survive, they'll ruin almost any squad's day. If you're not against hard troops like space marines it's sheer joy to watch the remnants eat the enemy. might consider a second brood. "which ones do you shoot at now, eh? EH? EH? AHAHAHAHHAHAH!"

1 "Daddy" class carnifex. This thing is made for devestating elite infantry and tanks. Scythe tail, talons, claws, tusks all those good hth and survivability biomorphs. devestating if he charges, and ultra hard to kill. The downside is that he's a complete snail, and the enemy needs to stand around doing SFA to get hit by him. handy for infantry holed up in cover, or tanks that can't move.

4 raveners w/ talons and devourers: didn't get a chance to try them, I think deploying them might be better than letting them get cut off from the rest of my swarm. From the stat line they're unreal though, don't see any reason for them not to rule.

2 lictors: wow. Simply devestating. Hit and run, almost impossible to shoot dead, and the best part: You can pick your target, so damn easily. they can even kill tanks. I'm considering 3 lictors.

Not sure if I've forgoten anything.

When I go up to 1500 I'm considering a "gun fex" full of devourers. it'd be scary.

Advertisement