Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug Driving

Options
  • 17-07-2006 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I was getting something in a garge shop when I noticed this couple acting a little OTT. I didn't really pay much attention but when I went to the que they were right in front of me. THe smelled pretty strongly of Vics and didn't appear to have colds. Anyway they were obviously on something but I just assumed they had just walked into the shop. I was leaving when I noticed them getting into the car and driving away. I had no phone with me and didn't ctach the car number.
    Even if I had called the cops and had given the reg what could they have done? Can they take a blood test ons suspision and do they actually rush out to catch such reported drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any impairment (alcohol, drugs, fatigue, mobile phone) can get you done. Evidence of impairment + the presence (no matter how slight) of a drug can get you done.

The Medical Bureau of Road Safety has tested samples where people have had 5 different drugs in their blood. One chap even had 5 different drugs + alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Victor wrote:
    Any impairment (alcohol, drugs, fatigue, mobile phone) can get you done. Evidence of impairment + the presence (no matter how slight) of a drug can get you done.

The Medical Bureau of Road Safety has tested samples where people have had 5 different drugs in their blood. One chap even had 5 different drugs + alcohol.

It is not as simple as that the Gardai have no roadside test for drugs so a blood or urine test is the only way to determine if a person has prescribed or illegal drugs in their system even when you find it the law says
    "is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle"
    Unlike alcohol where there is a set standard either you are above it or below it there is no such standard for the level of the various legal and illegal drugs that someone could have in their system.
    The gardai would have to prove that a particular level meant the driver was incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.
    The mere presence of a trace of a drug in a persons system would not mean that the person was incapable of having proper control it does not even mean that the person had taken drugs the chances are that the average Dublin Bus driver on certain routes would have traces of cannabis in their system from second hand inhalation. However it would be unlikely to reach the level of impairment.

Advertisement