Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo Zetec Tdci - MPG?

Options
  • 16-07-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I’m having a serious look at a ’05 Mondeo Zetec Tdci ( 115bhp ) at the moment. I would just like to find out from anyone who has had one, as to what mpg I could reasonably hope to achieve.

At the moment, I have a Seat Leon TDi (110bhp), and I usually get 55mpg average over a tank of fuel. The would be 50% rural, 25% urban, 25% long runs.

Is 50ish mpg a realistic figure to expect from the mondeo?

While I’m at it, are there any issues with the mondeo tdci? All reviews I’ve looked at so far seem to be glowing in their praise, but I’d welcome any views from anyone who has had first hand experience with them.

I’ve looked at the Avensis D4D, but they’re too bloody expensive!

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes 50+ mpg is about right. How much extra depends on your right shoe.

They are a very fine car and decent value used also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yes 50+ mpg is about right. How much extra depends on your right shoe.
    They are a very fine car and decent value used also.

Decent car, perhaps...

But when the new model appears (imminent) the a*se will fall out of old model values. Mondeos are pretty notorious for losing value...

Get a bloody good discount to counter the loss!

I don't like the Avensis but it has to be said, a diesel version would be rock-solid residually (and perhaps cheaper in the long run than a Mondeo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Yes, the new model is a concern.
    Still, its already lost a fair bit (circa €32k new, now €24, in just a year).
    I intend to keep it for a long time, so hopefully this will negate depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Now I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading the 130bhp Mondeo diesel is night-and-day better (and a different engine) than the 115 (which is a bit of a nail)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭conor_mc

pburns wrote:
    Now I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading the 130bhp Mondeo diesel is night-and-day better (and a different engine) than the 115 (which is a bit of a nail)

colm_mcm reckons the 130 is too much of a strain on the gearbox/transmission. Do a search and you'll find his post on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

pburns wrote:

It's the same engine. Block and head are identical. It's a fine unit in either 115/130 bhp guise.

The new model will not make a lot of difference to residuals. Mondeos depreciate quickly in the 1st couple of years, and then it flattens out, and make fine used buys for this very reason.

Ride and handling wise they are way ahead of the Avensis, and most other competitors.

conor_mc wrote:
    colm_mcm reckons the 130 is too much of a strain on the gearbox/transmission. Do a search and you'll find his post on this.

Doubt it.

The newest 2.2 TDCI engines give over 150bhp and use the same box without issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd say around 47mpg as a mate has an 06 115 bhp version, thats mixed driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

115bhp - 50.5mpg

130bhp - 48.7mpg

Hope that helps

I agree with Henry Ford there, the ride and handling is better than the Anvensis.

Saw an Avensis and Mondeo park beside each other last night and went with the Mondeo,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

pburns wrote:
    I have the 130. Great engine. 55-60 MPG extra urban motorway. stick her on cruise and let her drive. Lovely drive. I am not sure would i agree about the mondeo. People keep thinking about the old ones, but if u compare warranty claims versus the Passat the mondeo is far superioir. And as for Avensis..................................................yuk!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

conor_mc wrote:

6 speed gear box in the 130...no problems in 50K miles. Only issue i had was a replacement EGR valve that was done in service. Id totally recommened one anyway. try and get a High Spec. Id consider Looking un UK. a 05 over there will have 3 years warranty and much higher spec. If u end up paying the same after VRT u have the higher spec and the extra warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Doubt it.

The newest 2.2 TDCI engines give over 150bhp and use the same box without issues.

The new Avensis 2.2 D4D has 175bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Go for the Ghia X looks to have all the extras you can want

Check out www.fow.co.uk

They have loads of Mondeos for sale Diesel ones too

GB15 wrote:
    The new Avensis 2.2 D4D has 175bhp.

Not according to the Toyota.ie site it doesn't....

Engine & Performance
    0 - 100 km/h 9.3
    Capacity (CC) 2231
    Configuration In-line, 4 Cylinder
    Fuel Diesel
    Max. Power @ rpm 150 bhp (110 kW) @ 3,600
    Max. Torque @ rpm 310 Nm @ 2,000 - 3,200
    Maximum Speed km/h 210

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2 states of tune available on the 2.2 avensis. We only get the 150, but the Uk gets the 180 as well.

(the same unit is also available in 135bhp guise in the new Rav4 and Corolla Verso - the former also getting the 180bhp version, alas not in Eire though)

Advertisement