Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[N]o [T]elevision [L]ast night

Options
  • 14-07-2006 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

NTL signal comes and goes like a Charlesland cat...anyone have the same problem?...very erratic, but last night for five minute intervals, some or all of the channells just had no signal and later on it was just the frist 5 cahnnels missing...which also happened last week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Marcais wrote:
    NTL signal comes and goes like a Charlesland cat...anyway have the same problem?...very erratic, but last night for five minute intervals, some or all of the channells just had no signal and later on it was just the frist 5 cahnnels missing...which also happened last week.

Yeah, same with us - herself was going mad as she missed a good portion of her Friday night Big Brother dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Seems to be all over dublin. D15 being the far side of the city from you lot :) and ours was out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

eoin_s wrote:
    Yeah, same with us - herself was going mad as she missed a good portion of her Friday night Big Brother dose.

I hear your pain. Had the same situation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Yep, we had the same problem on Satuday night and noticed this morning, the first 5 channels were not working either. I'm also on NTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Has Setanta gone form NTL for good ?. Would ring them but don't fancy hanging on for 20 minutes to speak to someone.

• Advertisement

Joliegood wrote:
    Has Setanta gone form NTL for good ?. Would ring them but don't fancy hanging on for 20 minutes to speak to someone.

Are you sure it's gone? Check out the NTL website:
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/cabletv.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Joliegood wrote:

still working for me.

I've found NTL's service in Charlesland to be OK - its only died completely on 2 or 3 occasion in the last year. It occasionally goes pixellated for a second or two but I can live with that. Much better than Chorus in the rest of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

eoin_s wrote:
    Are you sure it's gone? Check out the NTL website:
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/cabletv.html
    It wasn't there over the weekend anyway. Didn't check it this morning though.

loyatemu wrote:
    still working for me.

I've found NTL's service in Charlesland to be OK - its only died completely on 2 or 3 occasion in the last year. It occasionally goes pixellated for a second or two but I can live with that. Much better than Chorus in the rest of the town.

Still not a patch on Sky though, in my experience. Doubt we would get away with a dish in a 2 bed apartment unfortunately.

Joliegood, are you on cable or digital? Channels can "disappear" from digital for some reason, you just have to reset the box to get them back. I think you press the "help" button on the remote, and then the yellow button to reboot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Mine went twice on friday. once for a 1/2hr or so, wasnt around sat but it was fine last night, thank god, id have been very upset if Id missed porker face..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I'm the same - it went for about half an hour on Friday night (in the middle of the BB eviction - ARGH!!!!) then again later on for over and hour and half, pixellated, no channels, messy channels, black screens, reboot - repeated this cycle about 20 times. Its happened alot over the past few months - always at the weekend in the evening and always in the middle of when I'm watching a movie

Rang NTL about it before and they wont take anyone's word for it that its an "area" problem (even if we all ring up) - they insist on sending out an enginer to "boost the signal" in your personal set-top box and then youve to ring them back again if that doesnt work.

Cant be ars*d going through all that - been there before, youre lucky if the engineer turns up on the nineteenth day you take off work to wait for them....I blame NTL on the majority of my grey hairs.

Once Sky offer C4 with their package then I'm changing, no question. Youre wasting your time and effort with NTL, they dont care. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

It went again this morning at 7am, for about a minute. The reception light on the box was still on (the middle one) and then it returned. So the signal reception was still getting thru, but just a black screen.
    I'm not sure if the weather is hampering the signal in some way :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

eleMental wrote:
    I'm the same - it went for about half an hour on Friday night (in the middle of the BB eviction - ARGH!!!!) then again later on for over and hour and half, pixellated, no channels, messy channels, black screens, reboot - repeated this cycle about 20 times. Its happened alot over the past few months - always at the weekend in the evening and always in the middle of when I'm watching a movie

Rang NTL about it before and they wont take anyone's word for it that its an "area" problem (even if we all ring up) - they insist on sending out an enginer to "boost the signal" in your personal set-top box and then youve to ring them back again if that doesnt work.

Cant be ars*d going through all that - been there before, youre lucky if the engineer turns up on the nineteenth day you take off work to wait for them....I blame NTL on the majority of my grey hairs.

Once Sky offer C4 with their package then I'm changing, no question. Youre wasting your time and effort with NTL, they dont care. ;)
    We got Sky+ in about a month ago.... C4 was an issue, but we bought an English freeview card on eBay for about €25 so we can see ITV, C4 and Channel 5 (handy for baseball and american football). You also get all the other BBC channels (which you can tune in anyway on the Irish card).

All we have to do is change cards and away you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

We got Sky+ in about a month ago.... C4 was an issue, but we bought an English freeview card on eBay for about €25 so we can see ITV, C4 and Channel 5 (handy for baseball and american football). You also get all the other BBC channels (which you can tune in anyway on the Irish card).

All we have to do is change cards and away you go!

The only reason I keep NTL is for the GAA and soccer, but given that it went tonight in the middle of Dublin v Offaly repeat, that "novelty" might wear off.

They keep telling me the same sh!te as Elemental above i.e it's a problem with your NTL box...complete dross of course....if not, I'd like to apologise to all of Charlesland on behalf of my box for causing all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Marcais wrote:
    The only reason I keep NTL is for the GAA and soccer, but given that it went tonight in the middle of Dublin v Offaly repeat, that "novelty" might wear off.

They keep telling me the same sh!te as Elemental above i.e it's a problem with your NTL box...complete dross of course....if not, I'd like to apologise to all of Charlesland on behalf of my box for causing all this.
    With Sky+ you could have recorded the match live! Then you could watch it back whenever you like.
    [/sky promo]

Shouldn't you be supporting Wikla now anyway? ;)

The only thing I miss at the moment from NTL is Setanta, but I'll probably subscribe for the rugby season.

Well it went AGAIN last night, soooooooooooo annoying.......Im thinking of getting Sky, do you get letters from the Mgt Co about having a dish or have they given up?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

LMC wrote:
    Well it went AGAIN last night, soooooooooooo annoying.......Im thinking of getting Sky, do you get letters from the Mgt Co about having a dish or have they given up?
    Have had one up for a month and no comment from anyone...

Hi All - bit of an update
    Rang NTL there *shudder* and first girl i spoke 2 gave me the usual "we have to send someone to your house to do a report before we can send a level 2 engineer" blahdeblah. apparantly the whole process is totoally run by computers and completely un-intervenable. anyway she eventually hung up on me cos i wanted to hold for a manager - nice.

anyway rang back and spoke to a really sound manager who pretty much said the same. but then realised that in charlesland we're on one of those "one signal powers all" services and that we dont have our own individual ariels, which changed things. so basically hes going to speak to the regional services person etc etc to see can they arrange for technicians to come out and check out generic signal generator thing....

so fingers crossed - hes going to bell me back tom with an update so will let you know..

its interesting that they cant tell what kind of MMDS account you have from your account details though isnt it??

ah well, hopefully we'll all be sorted soon

Great work Elemental - Fingers Crossed

bad news all :mad: :confused::(

well never got that callback i was promised yesterday (no surprise there then?!)

so i just rang back and spoke to another "supervisor" and quelle surprise we came all the way round full circle back to the "we have to send an engineer to get into your house before we'll do anything else"... WARGH!!!!

seems that cos im the only person to have called them to report a fault in charlesland that they dont see it as an area issue. and apparantly lots of customers, when they call in, pretend it affects loads of neighbours to try to get it resolved quicker (so basically they dont believe me!!!!)

so back to square one. theres no way im wasting a sat sitting around waiting for an engineer who may or may not turn up to tell me something i already know. been there - done that - bought the t-shirt x 100

but what might help is if maybe afew others rang up to tell them the same thing....seems they take it a bit mroe seriously then. if you feel up to the challenge of dealing briefly with their marvellous customer service then please dial:

1800 321 321 then press 3 for technical problem followed by 1 for a problem with TV or cable......and do remember to have your 8-digit NTL customer account number ready :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement