Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lightweight laptop for browsing and watching dvds

Options
  • 14-07-2006 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a basic laptop that would meet the following requirements.

- 12in or smaller screen (down to 8in would be grand ..)
    - wifi / web browsing
    - dvd drive / watch dvds
    - relatively lightweight with a half decent battery life
    - relatively lost cost (yeah .. not too possible .. but you know ..)

Any suggestions welcome ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

With reasonable cost in mind, probably worth looking at the Philips X series. The X52 should be out now, it'd meet your needs and wants assuming it's just an upgrade to the X51 which would have precisely met your needs. Cost would be about 1100.

If that's too pricy I'd suggest something like the Dell Inspiron 640m or the Inspiron 1300. Bigger, heavier but rather cheaper. Cost should be about 850 for the former or something like 500 for the latter (I'm not up on the pricing, I've a rough idea for the Philips model as it's on my thinking about it list).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Hey I have an Dell X200 which would be ideal for the tasks you mention, provided you don't mind plugging in a supplied dvd drive to watch dvds.

Are you interested in buying a second hand laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2nd-hand iBook G3/G4 12"?
    I use mine for all the above tasks; very nice battery life.
    I'm sure you can find one for €650 or less (maybe even new ones if shop has old stock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would rather not go down the ibook route.
    I'm not looking for a second hand one.

I'll look into those Phillips ones you mention, know anywhere I might get a demo of one ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

some super light laptops don't have DVD's / laptops without DVD's are lighter and cheaper than ones where they try to stuff a dvd in

you could get a standalone DVD player, they are light enough and fairly cheap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd agree with sceptre, the x series are amazingly compact with a 12" screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ediz

For the 1100 price mooted earlier you could buy a brand new macbook and the 13" widescreen would be nice for movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not exactly what you are looking for, but it will fit in your pocket :D

i-mate JasJar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I was looking at a Phillips x52 today in Dixons for about eur1150. Was lightweight but not sure if it's small enough :$

Advertisement