Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Smith

• 13-07-2006 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this so I'll throw it here, Its nothing like any of the music from my other bands so i figured id create a new thread...

This is the video for a song I threw together, sort of recentish Tom Waits sort of thing...All the percussion is made using various DIY/Garden tools like measuring tape, a saw, two hammers, a metal watering can....that sort of thing...The basic story is that a guy meets a girl, they fall in love, move to California(its set in america) to his home town, she cheats on him, he drowns her, anyway, give it a watch. Its my first attempt at piecing together a video so it could be better, but im happy with how it came out anyway:

Knock On Wood

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Gave it a watch there, and i think its good, well done. The music is the best aspect for me, especially since you created the percussion with the garden tools - dont think i would have guessed that without you saying :) , it worked really well.

The voice is a bit angry for me to like it, the voice in music is a big thing for me - but in saying that i do appreciate that it fits in with the story being told, so again well done on that.

As for the video, for a first attempt id be quite happy with it too. The grainy dark effect works well, a bit repetitive but its only a first atempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Gave it a watch there, and i think its good, well done. The music is the best aspect for me, especially since you created the percussion with the garden tools - dont think i would have guessed that without you saying :) , it worked really well.

The voice is a bit angry for me to like it, the voice in music is a big thing for me - but in saying that i do appreciate that it fits in with the story being told, so again well done on that.

As for the video, for a first attempt id be quite happy with it too. The grainy dark effect works well, a bit repetitive but its only a first atempt.

why thank you, appreciate the feedback, i really do. the vocals are a bit angry alright, i was tryin to keep it raw, i only did one take of everything, except once when i f*cked up the lyrics, at the time i was thinkin i should tone down the vocals a bit, maybe even take off the distortion, but then i thought the best of it cos as you said it fits the content. i figured it made it sound rawer, and like it was through a megaphone, like Tom Waits started doing sometime in the 90s. The song is really a sort of tribute to him. I usually write classic metal/rock but sometimes i do things a little different to keep my self amused, like write a gangster rap or an early nineties Vanilla Ice style hip hop song, or a reggae song, which i still have no lyrics for...or this sort of thing.

yeah i was thinking the bit of the video before the vocals with the bottles and stuff was a bit repetitive alright, and i was going to add more, and change it but then i thought screw it! why bother? I was trying for a kind of 1930's feel to the video, cos i thought the song sort of gave off that feel when i was listening back to it. the footage of the rivers in the video is from some documentary about rivers made in 1936.

Advertisement