Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are the chances.....

Options
  • 13-07-2006 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

...of this being a 1798 pike head?

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a pike head from a reputable online dealer in the UK, its described as:

"An 18th century pikehead, fashioned from one piece of steel and similar to those used in the American war of independance"

Pike-front.jpg

Pike-rear.jpg

Its a bit pricey, so I am trying to justify buying it, my heart says get it, but my head is telling me otherwise, I have no doubth that the piece is autentic, the guy only deals in fine antiques such as swords, flintlocks etc.

One refrence I did find about such a style pike is in 'Uniforms of 1798-1803' by F Glenn Thompson, he says:

"Other examples had an edged hook projecting sideways at the base of the blade; there were variations of this model, some had hooks projecting at each side of the head"

So, any opinions or anyone ever seen such a style pike head, in such good condition from the 1798 period??

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

looks like could have been made anytime... a good forger metalforger that is could make one of them easy enough... i'd be careful... if you saw it in the flesh would be your best bet...presumably the metal woud be pretty thin and worn wher it meets the shaft...(although it could easily be made to look old too)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I know what you mean about how it could be made at any time, hard to put a date on a crude piece of metal. But alas all this is irrelevant because there is no reply from the seller, maybe for the best (:( ).

An alleged 1798 pike head sold on e-bay a forthnight back for €400!! :eek:
    guess they're are rare as hens teeth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

that design could be from anywhere at anytime. hard to pinpoint to an exact event unless there is some sort of markings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

As 1798 was more or less a peasant uprising (i.e. without military structure) weaponry, in this case a pikehead, was not made to a standard pattern or given any identifying markings (as with a cavalry sabre from the same period for example). An expert could give you a considered opinion as to its authenticity, but you couldn't prove its provenence. I'd say €400 was very steep. I've seen swords in fair nick, with correct markings for the period go for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

I have seen plenty of 1798 pikes,.... usually with a single hook side, and looking simple in design.

i wouldnt have thought it to be a 1798 design,.. but i dont doubt for one second that the top image is 18th steel !! the 2nd photo is thin looking to be an irish pike in my opinion.

the irish 1798 pikes are silling into the low 4-figure prices .
    ever been to Ardgillan castle,...open to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

email the office of public works and ask how you would go about seeing a 1798 pike. you need to feel it and handle it closely to know for sure if it is "right"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

CroppyBoy1798 save your money!

I've seen American pikes like those sell for 30 euro.

This is supposedly the Irish 1798 pike that sold for 400 on ebay a while back, I was asked to bid on it on behalf of someone else. It went a bit over budget! Anyway one of the underbidders was a well known Irish antiques dealer so that gave us a bit of confidence to it's authenticity.

1798_pike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi RaiseTheBlinds and Blade, many thanks for your replies, much appreciated ;)

Unfortunately the seller didnt reply to my questions on the pike head in question, and shortly after it disappeared from the listings......maybe just as well, it was tormenting me, wasnt particularly cheap either :eek:

Blade I put in a few bids for that pike you have pictured, the seller had two of them and claimed they were found in the thatch of a house on the Carlow/Wexford border, sadly the bidding went out of the reach of this poor student :), ah well.........there'll be another chance.

Thanks again guys!

Advertisement