Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hunting Q's

Options
  • 13-07-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Posted previously looking at an Alfa 147 ... that fell through.

So i've fell back to the Hyundai Coupe. Now I went to look at this one here yesterday:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=465535

Now a few things that grabbed me about the car which I didnt ask the dealer about:

The nct disc describes the car as a Hyundai Lantra? Is this correct or completely out of the ordinary? As well as that the tax disc has the car down as 1996 D which can be seen on the pic where as the car is a 1998 MH, there something up there?

If all was in order and I did go for the car it was offered to me for €6.5k - now it would need new alloys as the ones on it are in disgraceful condition, is this a good price or should I keep looking?

Also the gears felt extremely loose when changing, didnt take a test drive but ran the car and shifted through a few times and I mean they felt extremely loose, is this common in coupes or could it be a dodgy gearbox?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Run away, there are better cars out there for that sort of money. Bazz might oblige with a few ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

dont just run away, get the luas!!

I hate to say it but the documentation just doesnt add up!
    i bet the milage id dodge as well.

coupes usually shave the sh1t driven out of them by boy racers. The alloys are indicative of the overall condition of the car.

sorry, but avoid this one

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Hyundai Coupes are classifed on the nct system as lantra coupes, nothing out of the ordinary there. As for the tax disc, sounds well strange and perhaps best to stay away.

My g/f drives a 97 and has had no problems whatsoever with it, although it is a lil heavy on oil. €6.5k is a bit much, €5k would be more realistic for a 98

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Still on the hunt for the right car for me, not so many decent Coupes going out there, saw one or two but nothing special.

Been looking at some other options including the

Honda HR-V
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=454296

or an

Opel Astra 3dr
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=438584

I really do like the HR-V, they are different and somewhat original, the one above even more so due to the colour. Anyone got any opinions/advice for buying either of these?

A couple of HR-Vs which I have looked at, and most of them seem to be like this, are unregistered which means theres no tax, nct (i know its not the be all and end all but would be nice)... so would I be better off looking for one which has already been registered or go with a garage who is offering a guarantee on the NCT. Southside Automotive have told me that if it doesnt pass just bring it back and they will fix it up free of charge if I bought one of the 3 they have.

Sorry for all the questions.... but thanks for reading this far. Any help is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Posted previously looking at an Alfa 147 ... that fell through.

So i've fell back to the Hyundai Coupe. Now I went to look at this one here yesterday:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=465535

Now a few things that grabbed me about the car which I didnt ask the dealer about:

The nct disc describes the car as a Hyundai Lantra? Is this correct or completely out of the ordinary? As well as that the tax disc has the car down as 1996 D which can be seen on the pic where as the car is a 1998 MH, there something up there?

If all was in order and I did go for the car it was offered to me for €6.5k - now it would need new alloys as the ones on it are in disgraceful condition, is this a good price or should I keep looking?

Also the gears felt extremely loose when changing, didnt take a test drive but ran the car and shifted through a few times and I mean they felt extremely loose, is this common in coupes or could it be a dodgy gearbox?

Thanks.

I drive a 2002 Hyundai Coupe, and it too is described as a Lantra Coupe in the paperwork. The tax disc thing sounds very dodgy. Never drove the old model coupe myself, but the gears don't feel "loose" in the new one at all, if that's any help to you.
    I'd have it checked out by a mechanic if you are considering buying it. A new set of alloys and tyres will probably cost you the guts of a grand. To be honest that combined with the funny-feeling gearbox and dodgy tax disc would put me off it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement