Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warwick super thick neck driving me insane

Options
  • 13-07-2006 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok after a long long wait i finally got myself a warwick corvette $$ around january as i love the warwick tone, i got the 5 string version because i wanted the broader range.

Now after a few months of playing this thing is starting to annoy me when i play it, i mean i knew the neck would be a bit broader and a bit thicker for the 5th string but i was playing steoobs ltd today and it really hit me how freaking HUGE the neck is on the wick, and also how much harder it is to play.
    I especially notice this when playing live, i have to have it all the way up where its nearly at neck height just to stop the think from cutting into my hand and to make it viable to play.

I mean what are warwick thinking making necks that thick? what have they got against thinner easier to play necks? Any other warwick players here suffer this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I played a thumb five string for the first time last Friday and, yeah, the neck was a shock. I knew they were big by jaysus....

Compared to the Bacchus (which I had with me) the Warwick neck was huge, fat and rather square shaped, very flat on the back and I just didn't like it at all. Maybe it's something you get used to but it's not for me, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

I used to play my Godzilla solo on a BC Rich Virgin bass and a Steinberger, and had no problems with either.....
    But on my current Iceman, the strings are a lot farther apart and it's harder to solo. I need to pick up a Rick or something for my solo work.

Having said that, for most of my bass work the Iceman is perfect, big wide neck with big wide tone. Wish I could find tone+dexterity in the same bass. :)

Nah, it's not the string spacing, it's the actual physical bulk of the neck itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

unless you're palms are qute small, it's something you should be able to get used to over time... I go from thin necks to fat all the time without bother because i've always had both in my collection at one stage or another. besides it will stretch your reach and make you a better player in the long run if you stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea i guess but jaysus he size of the neck compared to the other 5 strings i played was insane, i know itl make me a better player in the long run but its making me much worse right now. The way the pickups are positioned doesnt do me any favours either, still though youve got a point after all it sounds class and its gonna improve my playing.

• Advertisement

I dunno. I don't think playing something awkward makes you a better player. The instrument should suit how you play, if it doesn't, get one that does. I sussed this out not too long ago, me and Jazz basses get along. Me and Rics, well I dig the tone so much but they jsut didn't suit how I play, so it had to go. Me and narrow string spacing at the bridge, we don't get along. Great tone isn't the sole property of Warwick ;)

If you don't come to terms with it soon, either get a luthier to reshape the neck or trade it for something that'll work with your playing style, rather than against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've never found Warwick necks to be a bother really, my Warwick 5 strings(although its a Rockbass) neck is extremely comfortable.

But as the Doc says if it doesn't feel comfortable it's time to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Fat necks make you play faster

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

*groan* My Warwick's neck is thick enough I guess, meaty, but I have huge hands, so it's never been a problem. I find it very comfortable to play actually.

Yea i was thinking about trading it for somthing like a music man or an ltd or a yamaha john myung or somthing if i had the oppertunity. Still though i shall try to reconcile with it before i go to drastic measures.

Also i know what you mean with narrow string spacing, thunderbirds are the worst for this i found, soo hard to play fingerstyle i had to resort to playing pic(not that theres anything wrong with that, im just a fingers man).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Patricide wrote:
    (not that theres anything wrong with that, im just a fingers man)

Better not be! I'm a 90% picking man.

And I've been compared to the greats.

"Rustar???! He sucks compared to John Paul Jones!"

:)

Rustar wrote:
    Better not be! I'm a 90% picking man.

:)
    Most exelent post my good man, most exellent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

John Paul who?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's Tom Jones' brother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Rustar wrote:

LOL. :D

Advertisement