Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

would anyone insure 21y.o/prov on a 1.9 diesel golf?

Options
  • 12-07-2006 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

i'm 21 on a provisional, i was hoping to buy something like a 98 1.4 golf to start out in. but there is a very slight possibility that i could get a 1.9 diesel 01 vw golf 3 door for free. would any insurance company insure me on something like this, if so how crippling would it be?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

2001 Seat Toledo 1.9TDi, 23yo, 2nd provisional, 2700eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If you're getting it free, you can afford to soak up the extra cost!!! (not being smart, but the '01 diesel should be worth a good bit more, condition considered, so it'd be worth the extra couple of hundred in insurance. Plus you save by not having to shell out on the car in the first place).
    I remember when I got my first car many moons ago, the choice was an '89 1.9GLD Peugeot 405 Estate, or a '93 Rover 214si Saloon. Insurance was the same, as the diesel, despite the bigger engine, was deemed to have less power.

The difference in tax is another thing to consider, though; again, a couple of hundred yoyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They'll insure you on a TDi no problem, TDi, TDi and TDi might be a problem...thats with Quinn anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mloc123 wrote:
    They'll insure you on a TDi no problem, TDi, TDi and TDi might be a problem...thats with Quinn anyway.

Some insurance companies don't differentiate between the different bhp of the TDi engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bazz26 wrote:
    Some insurance companies don't differentiate between the different bhp of the TDi engines.

eh, are you sure? So I could insure a TDi for the same price as a TDi even though one is 90Bhp and one is 150Bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

mloc123 wrote:
    eh, are you sure? So I could insure a TDi for the same price as a TDi even though one is 90Bhp and one is 150Bhp?
    AFAIK fbd don't.

I'm insured on a 1.9 TDI Passat, but its 100bhp, so don't heed the TDI badges with regard to bhp. I'm 17 and i'm down as a named driver. €270 for 5 months, going to college in september and I'm not sure if I will stay on the policy since I won't be at home much. So fbd might be worth a call :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I was changing my car in January, wanted a TDI golf - had one lined up and everything, then rang insurance company, €4200 on the 90bhp diesel, I bought a 1.4 petrol and have it insured for €2500. Its not a BHP thing, its clearly engine cc they're loking at. There's no way that a base diesel golf is so much faster than a 1.4 that it warrants €1800 of a loading. I wasn't impressed. (I'm 22 - lost my no claims hence high quote on petrol even)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

back again.

the car would either be an 00 or 01 1.9 diesel 3 door golf van TDI. i cant seem to get an exact quote on quinn direct online because there are so many diesel golf options that i dont know what to pick.

i know the insurance would be far from cheap but i had originally intended to buy a crappy car for 4000 and pay upward of 2500 for insurance so a free car with expensive insurance would still be a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

they'll murder you with loading for a van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

sorry not a van, its a golf with no back seats/doors, just a flat boot area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement