Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weezer Split Up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The new stuff has been decreasing in quality by each album, so it's not the greatest loss tbh. Make Believe was dire, save Beverly Hills for comedies' sake.

I finally got to see them live at The Point last year so I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Yeah, I think it was about time really. They'd been going downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

although i nearly died when i saw this thread, it's total bull****.

sure weezer's songs have been dire since 2000 but they still are a good band, make believe was dirt but it was in the right direction i believe.

this story seriously pisses me off to bits. I follow weezer regliously and this news was annouced before make believe was even released (that was one year from last may 10th).

Rivers said, "i am touring this album (make believe) for one year then i'm going back to harvard to graduate, then i'm getting married". He also said "i am continuing writing songs and i don't know what the future will hold".

He says this everytime after a period after every album is released.

this is just NME causing a stir, i'm taking it as that there will be more weezer until i see it written on the www.weezer.com website.

also read this

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1536119/20060711/weezer.jhtml?headlines=true

hmm seems familar no?

NME are complete ****.

even read this from mtv...
    "Actually our honeymoon has been one of the best times to write," he said. "At 1 p.m., I get on my crazy Japanese bike and ride for 10 minutes down to the mega-mall, and on the third floor they have all these studios you can rent for five bucks an hour, with drums and a soundboard and everything. So I go in there and work, and when I'm done, I exit into the midst of a Japanese mega-mall."

seriously what would be the point in writing music if he doesn't see a point in a solo career.

Well we all know they went on hiatus after Pinkerton... four years, was it? I don't think this'll be the last we'll see of them.

Well we all know they went on hiatus after Pinkerton... four years, was it? I don't think this'll be the last we'll see of them.

pinkerton 24th september 1996
    green album may 14th 2001.

five years, god i'm so attached to them i know the dates that the albums came out on.

• Advertisement

Did they not even tour Pinkerton?

they did, end of 96 and first half of 97, then Rivers went to harvard for september and started playing solo shows there.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Dissapointing news but not unexpected. Rivers writes amazing songs, Pinkerton is up there with my all time favourites, but lets face it the man is a bit of a gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Den_M wrote:
    lets face it the man is a bit of a gob****e.

That's too harsh. Listening to a lot of their music (especially on Pinkerton) is a bit like having someone read their diary out to you - when they moved into stuff like the Green album it doesn't work as well cos you really just want to hear Rivers singing about how ****ed up he feels and how he just wants to be happy.

That's why he gets so pilloried by the media (witness the Rolling Stone interview when Make Believe came out when he was painted as some kind of celibate freak). He's not a gob****e, he's just brutally honest about what he's like as a person, inadequacies and all.

Starting to sound like a 14 year old defending My Chemical Romance or something ("No seriously, they're just deep and misunderstood!) so I'll just say I really hope this is just an extended hiatus. I'm still hanging in hoping they'll make something to rival Pinkerton.

stargal wrote:
    I'm still hanging in hoping they'll make something to rival Pinkerton.

i believe they have...

in the summer of 1995 Rivers began work on a 'Rock Opera' that was known as "Songs from the black hole".

it basically got scrapped but we still got some songs from it...

some songs ended up on pinkerton

tired of sex.
    getchoo.
    why bother?
    no other one.

and others became b-sides

i just threw out the love of my dreams.
    waiting on you (one of my favourite weezer songs)
    devotion.

and we got some others in forms of clips over the years.

blast off (a person hacked a friend of Rivers' AIM account and posed as Rivers' friend and asked him to send him the demo)
    superfriend - if you watch the making of pinkerton on the weezer DVD there's about 1:30 of this song it's very hard to hear but you can make out the chorus "pain, pain, go away, come again, another day..."

there are still a lot of tracks unheard from this period, which i believe if some of them made it to pinkerton and to pinkerton b-sides then the rest must be just as good.
    thinking about it, 'songs from the black hole' was written between weezer's two best albums.

Rivers scrapped this 'rock opera' idea and went and worked on pinkerton don't know if you noticed but pinkerton is really two halves. first half tracks 1-5 and tracks 6-10.

tracks 1-5 are very raw and energetic, whereas 6-10 seem to be about his flaws as a human.

anyways you got me rambling on about my favourite album of all time (yes i can safely say that)...

Rivers' myspace blog (www.riverscuomo.com) recently posted say that as soon as he is legally able to, he will make the 'songs from the black hole' available to all. Weezer aren't allowed to release any new stuff on their website for free as they had a major disagreement with geffen over their album 'maladroit'. Basically a week or two before 'maladroit' was released Rivers posted it on the weezer.com website. Hence it not selling well (though the main reason for it not selling was it was complete ****e).

check out www.sftbh.com for more info on the 'songs from the black hole'

• Advertisement

stargal wrote:
    He's not a gob****e, he's just brutally honest about what he's like as a person, inadequacies and all.

Not because of this but because he didn't have the courage to stand by the songs he wrote. From interviews you get the feeling he now hates Pinkerton and dismisses it as a mistake. Because of the reaction it got from some sections of the press. Also he doesn't seem to give a **** about Weezer fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

harsh!

he's totally confused person.

he now doesn't hate pinkerton, he accepts it as what his fans see as his best work.

i'll always remember a great quote he gave on the howard stern show a while back.

he was saying that basically you'll get credit for what you wrote at some stage maybe not straight away but you will get it.

this happened with pinkerton, in 1996 it was listed the worst album of the year by rolling stone magazine.

4 years later it re-reviewed it and gave it 5 stars.

He used to not give a **** about fans during the maladroit years, but not now, otherwise he wouldn't be going to the trouble of trying to get them songs from the black hole demos released.

I don't think I'm confused at all. And there plenty more Weezer fans that feel the same as I do do, believe me. The 'Maladroit Years' weren't exactly ages ago either, more like 3 years ago. I don't see how he's changed so much in your eyes since then. Getting old songs released doesn't say much to me, especially when the band has pretty much split up. Why not get older stuff released, I'm the record label won't object..

Den_M wrote:
    I don't think I'm confused at all. And there plenty more Weezer fans that feel the same as I do do, believe me. The 'Maladroit Years' weren't exactly ages ago either, more like 3 years ago. I don't see how he's changed so much in your eyes since then. Getting old songs released doesn't say much to me, especially when the band has pretty much split up. Why not get older stuff released, I'm the record label won't object..

sorry the confused person is Rivers, not you.

a lot has changed since maladroit.

a week before maladroit was released Rivers posted it up on weezer.com, and geffen were furious they now have so much control over weezer it's unreal. Geffen will not allow any demo's/live versions/even new tabs be placed on the weezer.com's website, this is all over Rivers basically releasing maldroit for free.

he use to always think that what was on his albums was his best work, and didn't want to release any demos at all. Now he held a fan interview on the website - where fans emailed questions in - and he was overwhelmed with the amount of questions about songs from the black hole that he's decided to try and release them as soon as can.

Cremo wrote:
    sorry the confused person is Rivers, not you.

Ah I see.

The Black Hole demos do sound pretty cool I guess, I'd love to hear the songs that didn't make the albums. Weezer are like Smashing Pumpkins in the way that a lot of my favourite songs by them are b-sides or unreleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

can you see the similarities between corgan and cuomo.
    both kinda obsessed with themselves and more than willing to have their stuff heard.
    dont for one moment think that he is releasing stuff because he thinks the fans will like it, its called cashing in......

Nothing wrong with being prolific though. I agree with you about Cuomo as I was saying earlier in the thread, but Billy released Piscese Iscariot, Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness and The Aeroplane Flies High over a three year period yet the standard remained unbelievably high. Even people like Trent Reznor, who dislikes Billy, wishe they could write as many good songs as him. Reznor said that in an interview years back btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I wouldn't put much stock in that account. They may be back or may not, I suspect they probably will be.

By the way I seem to be in the minority who think Maladroit is excellent.

maladroit was okay, but as weezer standards go, trying to follow the blue album and pinkerton, any album is going to have a tough time.

listening to some of the very first maladroit demos that were released on the .com website i have to admit i was a little excited for the album.

the drums were good
    the guitars sounded raw
    there was blemishes in the guitar sound

all these got killed of in later recordings are sounded like over processed tripe.

although there are two good songs on it i still like.

slob and death and destruction. slob has been the most emotional Rivers has gotten since pinkerton and the latter is good but it is better without the lyrics as an instrumental.

• Advertisement

I really like Maladroit. I remember being surprised at the time. The Green album was fine but a bit flat so this was a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Pat put this up on his site yesterday:

"Friday, July 21, 2006
    To the =w= fans
    What is up with all the crazy bad journalism drawn from Rivers interview? I can assure you that =w= is fully intact. I know this because I am in Weezer. The glaring proof that today's media is shallow reveals itself in this simple fact: not one person called me to ask my opinion. Which is cool cuz I would have made up some fantastic lie about becoming an Antarctic explorer.

Switching gears, it's very hot here today. 106 in the shade! My twin electric Spal fans in the Chevelle kept it wicked cool until something took a holiday and then the car died. I laugh in the face of these problems and they are no match for my guile and general spirit.

posted by patrick wilson at 7:07 PM"

www.thespecialgoodness.com

sorry for brining this bumping thread up but Rivers has replied to all this press that's being going on...

www.riverscuomo.com under his blog entitled "Clarifications, Corrections, and Supplemental Materials", it's a blog he uses to clear up any mistakes that happen in interviews and such that's why it's dated the 29th april.

anyways here's what he said...
    Mtv.com: There are many instances in this article where the writer repressed my positive statements and highlighted anything that could be taken in a negative way. Additionally, he was able to manipulate my words to support his argument because he didn't record the interview but rather paraphrased my words according to his understanding

In one instance, he blatantly misquoted me. When I told him that the soccer song, "Our Time will Come", certainly won't be on a Weezer album, he reported that "I certainly don't see [any of my new songs] becoming Weezer songs." This statement gives the false impression that none of my energies have been devoted to a potential Weezer album and that no progress has been made. The fact is that all of the new songs, except the soccer song, are definite contenders for a Weezer album.

It's also unfortunate that the writer portrayed the current state of the band's interpersonal relations in such a negative light. I told him that Pat and I were closer than ever, chatting every couple of days on Skype, even while I was on my honeymoon. The writer reported this as "He's not exactly speaking to them every day."

Clearly, the writer wanted to imply that Weezer was breaking up, which is not true, and which is not at all what I was trying to say in this interview.

That being said, I think I went into the interview with a very subtle negative attitude, a desire to make a strong statement that no one can expect any work from me right now, and a desire to seem odd for being so detached from my career. I think the writer picked up on that attitude and magnified it. The mainstream press (cnn.com, etc.) then focused only on that magnified bit and the whole thing snowballed out of control while I was at the Vipassana course, unable to reply.
    I therefore would like to apologize to my band, my associates, and Weezer's fans for the part that I played in this distressing article. I'm sorry that I used the interview to express my frustration with being asked to work, and that I drew attention to my relative detachment. Next time I'll try to deal with my issues more directly and use my valuable interview space for spreading mirth and good cheer.

As the Lutherans say, "Peace Be With You".

Rivdog, "The Dawg-meister"

Advertisement