Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syd Barrett, RIP

Options
  • 11-07-2006 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't you miss me at all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm

Pink Floyd's Barrett dies aged 60

Barrett became a recluse in the 1970s after leaving Pink Floyd
    Syd Barrett, one of the original members of legendary rock group Pink Floyd, has died at the age of 60, the band's spokeswoman has confirmed.
    He was born Roger Barrett in Cambridge and met future bandmates Roger Waters and David Gilmour at school there.

The guitarist was invited to join Pink Floyd by Waters in 1965 but left three years later after only one album with his mental state affected by drugs.

"He died very peacefully a couple of days ago," said the spokeswoman.

"There will be a private family funeral."

He had suffered from diabetes in recent years and had not been recording music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Shine on you Crazy Diamond, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I was actually sad when I heard this :(:(:(

RIP.

PatGoD will be on repeat for a while....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

'You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
    Shine on you crazy diamond.
    Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
    Shine on you crazy diamond.
    Well you wore out your welcome with random precision, rode on the
    steel breeze.
    Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper,
    you prisoner, and shine!'

A legend, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Sad news.

Obviously the guy was talented and could have done a lot, unfortunately he became another victim of music/drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

RIP, what a legend :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Sad to hear this. Shine on, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

rip syd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Never was a massive fan of Pink Floyd personally but I do realise the immense contribution to music that Barrett and his bandmates made.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

R.i.p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

A true legend if ever there was one.
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

rest in peace Syd.

If you've never heard his stuff, seriously, its worth checking out. 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn' is completely amazing. Also check out the early singles on the 'Relics' compilation. 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play' stand up with anything ever recorded since. Also, his solo works, in particular the Madcap laughs need to be heard. There was a reissue of this with bonus tracks lately. Some parts are a little tough to listen to as its obvious Syd isn't quite himself. The song 'If its in You' where he messes the vocal at the start and then included a brief conversation with Syd and the producer gets you wondering about his frame of mind at the time. I often wondered why they left that in on the album. A few of the tracks on this album also featured members of Floyd.

There are also a couple of collections - 'Opal', 'Wouldn't You Miss Me', and a BBC radio sessions CD that contain absolute gems that didn't get the audience they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Jugband Blues is definately my favourite of his songs, the man created fantastic images in through his lyrics and music. May he rest in peace.
    Someone should stick up piper as album of the week or something to commemorate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

The man was a hero of mine, I just couldn't believe it. Only heard it on RTE news, your one said it with this big "news smile", which I know they have to pull, but man did it annoy me!

Also they mentioned The Piper at the gates of Dawn and then said he dissappeared from the music scene! My house mates where a little taken aback when I shouted at the TV "What the ****! Hello! What about Barrett and The MadCap Laughs!?"

General ignorance of the mans influence and genius is something that really gets under my skin!>:(

RIP, you shall be missed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

Worse again listening to someone tell me last week after seeing Roger Waters in Cork...u know...the original guy from Pink Floyd...the guy who was the brains behind it all....tut tut

RIP Sid...u were a genuis

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

BBC Newsnight tribute, watch it before they take it down (see BBC blog)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaHZtOyTfk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

Legend on a stick and not just because of the tragedy behind his life

RIP sid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

was his life tragic? i dont know. maybe he just wanted to lead a quiet life and be left alone.
    jcoote wrote:
    Legend on a stick and not just because of the tragedy behind his life

RIP sid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

well the mind consumed by drugs thing is tragic i would've thought

it was his death that wasn't that tragic imho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Very sad news.

The early Pink Floyd singles, Piper At The Gates of Dawn and the two solo albums are among the best records ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

I can't believe some people here are leaving respectful messages, yet can't even spell his name!......real respectful:rolleyes:

Advertisement