Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks to Boards.ie

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi All,

A few months ago I posted on the Computer Hardware Wanted forum appealing to Boards readers to donate computers for the Lubwe Mission Medical Project(http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280058)

From that post I received many donations of PCs and Laptops which now all have been safely deleivered to the Lubwe Mission Medical Project in Zambia as well as the associated Muele Mwana Orphanage in Lusaka, Zambia.

The last consignment of Laptops accompanied 4 medical students who left for the Lubwe Mission Hospital in June for 8 weeks of experience.

The computers & laptops are being used by the Lubwe Mission hospital for administration purposes and we have 3 laptops in the Hospital medical reference library loaded with medical encyclopedias and reference programs for use by the Doctor and nurses in the Lubwe Mission Hospital.

We also delivered 2 computers to the Muele Mwana Orphanage in Lusaka which is an Orphange run by the "White Fathers" order of the priesthood which takes in orphan boys and educates them and teaches them a trade. The skills being taught in the orphanage include woodword, mechanics, and computer literacy. They have now a computer laboratory with 10 working(8 existing + 2 new) computers and have daily classes for the older orphans where they follow an ECDL type training cirriculum.

I spent 3 weeks in Zambia, teaching basic computer skills to the recipients of these computers and laptops & also teaching advanced computer skills to the computer teachers in the Muele Mwana Orphanage. I also worked with these teachers for 3 days repairing the existing computers using parts from the "broken" computers they had stored away for up to 5 years, teaching them how to fix computers both Hardware & software.

We are now a fully registered and recognised Charity organisation & we have established a website where more information about what we are doing in Zambia www.lubwemissionmedicalproject.ie.

I would just like to thank all those who contributed to the appeal for old computers for Zambia and thank boards.ie.

We are always grateful for donations of computers for our charity especially Laptops as these are much cheaper & easier to ship to Zambia.

Thanks again.....

Adrian
    www.lubwemissionmedicalproject.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Interesting to read such a positive story about your project.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

jrey1981 wrote:

Seconded its great to see technology making its way into developing countries and being used for such a worthy cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Congratulations, good to see you're having some success :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

jrey1981 wrote:
    It's Great Work, my laptop is getting old with win.xp, you'll be getting a 17inch laptop soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Congrats on taking the initiative and starting what sounds like a fantastic project.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting help from people here if you need any.

All the best in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bannerinDublin

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the encouragement. Its much appreciated.
    The plan for July 07 is that I will be revisiting the mission but focusing more on the orphanage in Lusaka than the mission in Lubwe and improve their computer training room as from what I hear its proving very successfull.

Im hoping to collect at least 10 laptops for the next visit.
    Ive got two already which need some hardware replacement and reformats and possibly 5 from a corporate sponsor.

So if any of you have an old laptop you want to donate, drop me a PM. Or conatact me or the organisation through www.lubwemissionmedicalproject.ie

Thanks

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I just read an article in the Economist that you might be interested in. It talked about different approaches to spreading technology in developing countries - one idea in particular might be helpful to you if you haven't heard of it.

There's a bloke called Quentin Stafford-Fraser, running an operation called Ndiyo - he's going back to old school computing and setting up linux boxes with multiple screens/keyboards/mice attached to a single computer.

There might be some opportunities for you guys to collaborate, he might be looking for testing areas/contacts or you may be looking for alternative tech - in any case I thought you'd be interested in the story.

Advertisement