Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipsters

Options
  • 11-07-2006 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭

A question for all the gamblin crowd out there.

Do you follow Tipsters (horses,dogs,football), or purely pick your own bets?

If so who

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

always pick my own bets,i like to think i have good knowlegde of most things football,as for the horses,i dont go near them any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

There are very few tipsters who make a profit in the long term. For horse racing the best to follow are Pricewise in the Racing Post and Matt Doyle on the AtTheRaces website.

You can always pay for horse racing tips, most tipsters charge in the region of €1000 a year for their picks, not too many of these win.

Have a look at:
    http://www.racing-index.com/tipsters/tipster-performance.php

It is a chart of fee charging tipsters and their performance, only a handful make more the a 15% profit on investment, even with a 15% profit subtract the subscription fee and you would barely break even.

So in short, I pay no attention to any of them except the 2 I mentioned at the top to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

90% are my own, the other 10% are usually bets that shrewdies might reveal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I like Computerman (Telegraph I think) and Templegate (Phil Logan in the Sun), if I pick out a horse myself and they go for it, I dont hesitate. As for football I dont believe in tipsters at all.Have enough knowledge myself for that. I will say though that Terry Veneables often gets it right surpisingly enough! Dogs - dont touch them. The day I back a hound in a bookies is the day there is no Mass on a Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

New Website for tipsters etc :

http://www.racing-guide-uk.com .

The top 5 or 6 tipsters in the Racing Index proofing league are certainly worth following.

The top daily newspaper tipster is the Irish Independent's guy but do expect losing runs upto 20 and likewise for all tipsters. Getting the optimum odds is extremely important so use www.oddschecker.com for this. And my advice is always back over 2/1, never back anything under 2/1. Backing horse priced between 2/1 and 4/1 usually shows most consistent gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

http://www.online-betting-guide.co.uk/

this site is good.....look at the forum...lots of serious discussions and tips on the days races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 giggidtygig2

You can probably work out the odds on most bets yourself. The trick is to spot something no one else sees. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

The best thing to do is to ask many tipsters (don't bother asking someone who isn't an excellent tipster) and see what tip comes out most.

I usually pick my own bets but I would listen to good experianced gamblers. Your always learning when gambling!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was in a bookie shop in Carlow the other day, when this guy came in...English bloke. started to talk to me about all the different yards in worked in. Gave me a 14/1 shot that said would be a sure thing in a night race (think it was lingfield or carlisle)...anyway to cut a long story short, that hour converstation made me €140 smackers. I was only in to a 25c yankee but I threw a tenner on this horse. he gave me one for Galway, should there be any cut in the grtound at all for Galway I'll post the horses name here when the time draws near.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

If a horse is tipped its price will drop, and you will not have a value bet.

To get good value you should have a Betfair account, although if you want to get a good bit on the bookies are good.

It helps if you put a lot of time into your selections, and know what price makes sense. You should also examine ever horse in the race, and all their previous races.

The worst betting is low odds, newspaper tipped horses. One newspaper journalist admitted he was the "Capt Xxxxxxx" and the "Xxxxxx Correspondant" on the paper. He picked two horses a race, one for each pseudonym, and usually two high up in the betting.

The worst type of better is the one who bets small amounts on every race. I avoid handicaps, and sprints (mostly). I like to bet in Pattern races on the flat, and at high odds. I often wait months for an opportunity, and if the price is high I bet more.

If you pay to tipster subscription lines you need your head examined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kincsem wrote:
    If a horse is tipped its price will drop, and you will not have a value bet.

Not always the case, was in PP a couple of weeks ago and the guy on their in-shop radio station tipped a fifty to one shot against an odds-on shot, came second at that price but still a nice each way investment, wonder if PP sacked him :D

Advertisement