Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belated Birthday Wishes!

Options
  • 10-07-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

Best wishes and get well soon, your Holiness, 71 on 6th July.

Here's some quotes I picked up around the place you might like:

Love for others and respect for their rights and dignity, no matter who or what they are: ultimately these are all we need. So long as we practise these in our daily lives, then no matter if we are learned or unlearned, whether we believe in Buddha or God, or follow some other religion or none at all, as long as we have compassion for others and conduct ourselves with restraint out of a sense of responsibility, there is no doubt we will be happy’ - Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

If in the midst of your enjoyment of the world you have a moment, try to help in however small a way those who are downtrodden and those who, for whatever reason, cannot or do not help themselves. Try not to turn away from those whose appearance is disturbing, from the ragged and unwell. Try never to think of them as inferior to yourself. If you can, try not even to think of yourself as better than the humblest beggar. You will look the same in your grave."

"Knowledge is important, but much more important is the use towards which it is put. This depends on the heart and mind of the one who uses it."

Given human beings' love of truth, justice, peace and freedom, creating a better, more compassionate world is a genuine possibility. The potential is there."

"Time Passes unhindered. When we make mistakes, we cannot turn back the clock and try again. All we can do is use the present well."

Of course, there are so many thousands but thats enough for me to think on.

here's a poster you might like, I hope it links properly:

! d.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

actually this wikipedia page is very interesting too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenzin_Gyatso,_14th_Dalai_Lama

forget about the kid with the curly hair living in the forests of India from the other thread, if this guy is who millions believe he is then we could all be in big trouble! (if ur as much of a sinner as me!:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

forget about the kid with the curly hair living in the forests of India from the other thread, if this guy is who millions believe he is then we could all be in big trouble! (if ur as much of a sinner as me!:D )
    How wonderful, I had never bothered to read the the wiki article. Thanks.
    Found a wonderful gem from the Dali Lama at the end of the page. Gave me a completely different out look as I refused to view Buddhism as a religion. Love the concept of the bridge. So simple, how could I miss it. I have listed the quote at the bottom.
    if ur as much of a sinner as me!:D
    No sinners on this forum:eek: Its all GAS (Greed, Anger and Stupidly)
    Ah, sure you're a gas man Asiaprod....you better believe it...and it worries me a lot:D
    "Buddhism does not accept a theory of God, or a creator. According to Buddhism, one's own actions are the creator, ultimately. Some people say that, from a certain angle, Buddhism is not a religion but rather a science of mind. Religion has much involvement with faith. Sometimes it seems that there is quite a distance between a way of thinking based on faith and one entirely based on experiment, remaining skeptical. Unless you find something through investigation, you do not want to accept it as fact. From one viewpoint, Buddhism is a religion, from another viewpoint Buddhism is a science of mind and not a religion. Buddhism can be a bridge between these two sides. Therefore, with this conviction I try to have closer ties with scientists, mainly in the fields of cosmology, psychology, neurobiology and physics. In these fields there are insights to share, and to a certain extent we can work together. "If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change. In my view, science and Buddhism share a search for the truth and for understanding reality. By learning from science about aspects of reality where its understanding may be more advanced, I believe that Buddhism enriches its own worldview."

Advertisement