Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulta Ulta Thin Laptop?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 4:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a ridiculously thin laptop. Anyone have any suggestions?

I remember seeing this Sony Vaio X505 when it came out - someone in work had one and it was...the...most...beautiful thing I'd ever seen (and that includes Evangeline Lilly). It was actually as thin as that article says, and very light too, but alas, i couldn't afford it at the time.

vaio_1.jpg

I tried to buy it on ebay recently but was beaten to it by about 2 euro in the dying seconds...and I haven't seen it there since, although I have seen loads of sellers trying to rip people off with scam auctions selling this laptop, pretty damn good scams too, sellers with 100% feedback, but a price of 400 euro and only 1 hour left always gives it away...(although I nearly succum to it's spell and press that Place Bid button anyway...)

So anyone know of an equally thin laptop out there? It's hard to tell from publicity pictures how thin they actually are...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭maidhc

Those keys look a little to small and thin for typing!

Personally I would resist the temptation to go smaller than a 12" screen and more or less full size keys. I have a latitude x300 (couple of years old now), and to be honest I wouldn't like anything much smaller... except perhaps the Dell latitude x1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maybe the Philips x50 or x51 - not overly thin but really tiny laptops in general dimensions, 12" screen and would easily fit into any sort of small bag....

A picture wouldn't really give a good idea of its size but its lovely and neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

IBM X40 series is fairly slim

http://www.allstar.cz/images/db/IBM-X40.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭tech

If your going for a dell new get tyhe X1 if your a looking for a 2nd hand get the Dell X3

2 class laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Why does it have to be so thin? Does the screen size matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Have a look at a Toshiba Portege R200

Paddyo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Cheers for the suggestions. I'll have a look at them properly when I get a chance.
    Why does it have to be so thin? Does the screen size matter?

Well I suppose thinness isn't the main criteria - it's mainly the weight. But that Sony X505 was so easy to carry around, which I'd be doing quite a lot. It would be mainly simple applications on it most of the time so the specs don't matter all that much, hence I don't mind compromising power for extreme portablity. But before someone suggests I get a palmtop or something similar, I already tried that, and missed Windows too much (I know some people who would spontanously combust if I uttered that last sentence in front of them...)

As for screen size, anything above 25cm (10 inch) or there abouts would be acceptable really...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The Sony TR Series are a sweet little laptop, 10" Screen, 1Ghz Centrino, 256mb+, DVD drive, wifi, and they are about 1KG.

What kinda money do you have to spend on it?

Link

S.

Advertisement