Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lessons

Options
  • 10-07-2006 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

First time poster here, just found this sub forum.

Basically Im just looking for some recommendations of where I should get some Golf Lessons (In the Dubin Area). Im a total begineer so I would like to learn how to play correctly from the start, rather than picking up some bad habits and trying to correct them later.

Does anyone have any recommendations? also any information on how much its costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

Hey all,

First time poster here, just found this sub forum.

Basically Im just looking for some recommendations of where I should get some Golf Lessons (In the Dubin Area). Im a total begineer so I would like to learn how to play correctly from the start, rather than picking up some bad habits and trying to correct them later.

Does anyone have any recommendations? also any information on how much its costs?

Thanks

Static, My recommendation is a golf club near you. The golf pros at South County and Rathsallagh are both very good. If you want a different style, you can go to Celbridge where they provide instruction in a bay on their range...they seem to be better with beginners than intermeds.

The hourly charges vary depending on golf pro, so just call to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Lessons usually are around Euro 30-35 per half hour.... most golf clubs have a professional who gives lessons.... best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Is it just me or are lessons a bit of a rip off? Sure you do learn something but it just seems so drawn out. 30+ quid, then u have to buy ur own balls and they do one thing at a time I understand its important not to try to fix too much at once but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

I took 3 lessons from a qualified guy 18 months ago. I felt it wasn't worth it, so I gave up on the lessons. Nice guy and all, probably knows his stuff, but his way of teaching just didn't bode well with me.

Then earlier this year another qualified instructor was recommended to me. In 6 months I've taken 4 lessons. Each lesson was well worth the €40. I take a lesson go away and work on whatever I've learned for a month or so, then go back for the next lesson. The lessons are not a one-way stream of do this and do that - there is a lot of discussion & explanation. My new instructor has really opened my eyes.

My advice, find an instructor with whom you work well, and be prepared to work at what you are learning. Most of the improvements are as a result of working on my own - the 30 mins with my instructor point me in the right direction. Without this direction I would be still aimlessly shooting balls at the range getting massively frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

WillyWonka wrote:
    Is it just me or are lessons a bit of a rip off? Sure you do learn something but it just seems so drawn out. 30+ quid, then u have to buy ur own balls and they do one thing at a time I understand its important not to try to fix too much at once but still...
    it can be damaging, not getting lessons, for a novice you need to have a qualififed instructor who knows what they're talking about guide you through the game first.
    If you think they're expensive, then maybe limit to 2 lessons a year, one every six months, thats a cost of about 20 cents a day, for a year. but to be honest the savings in lost balls, anguish and mental fatigue can be worth it, i used to get very depressed and wiped out with struggling to figure out what was going wrong out on the course, i'd be drained by the 15th/16th, i got a couple of lessons got set straight and i'm enjoying it now, it only takes 2-3 lessons for a novice like me to get set straight, then it's all down to practicing to improve the game, i only go back whenever something goes badly wrong, and when i have it's turned out to be things i'd forgotten from previous lesons :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

thats a cost of about 20 cents a day, for a year.

ROFL, I can't believe you just worked that out..

As for lessons, they are well worth it, but you have to have the attitude going into them, that you want something out of it. Going in for blind instruction is not the best mentality to have at the start of a lesson IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

css wrote:
    ROFL, I can't believe you just worked that out..

As for lessons, they are well worth it, but you have to have the attitude going into them, that you want something out of it. Going in for blind instruction is not the best mentality to have at the start of a lesson IMHO.

I've no doubt that lessons are worth taking, but they are still a rip off.

I started by going to group lessons, there are evening classes that go on for about 10 weeks and cost about 80 quid. They are not personal and few balls are hit but it taught me the basics that I thought I already knew. Lots and lots of practice then to follow that. Probably best to follow up with a proper lesson or two after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

WillyWonka wrote:
    I've no doubt that lessons are worth taking, but they are still a rip off.
    in fairness you can only state that they are a rip off to you, it's obvious a lot of people view them as worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks for the replies,

Diego Worst where is your new instructor from?

At the moment im trying to work on getting someone closer to Dublin City as I have no transport to get out to some of the clubs, which is a bit of a nuisance really. But hopefully something will come up soon, I do think some basic lessons would help me alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

Diego Worst where is your new instructor from?

Louise D'arcy @ Celbridge Driving Range

• Advertisement
Advertisement