Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What standard of completion of snag?

Options
  • 10-07-2006 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi all, I have done my snag on my house, we were called back this week to say the snag was complete and we could resnag it. My question is to what type of finishing are the Builders required to do. when we came back probably not even half of it was done, there was still lots of "snots" on the window sills and frames, plaster/cement on the ground, paint on all the light switches and sockets and most of them not straight.

I know a lot of this stuff is all cosmetic but it's just so annoying, if they sent in one guy with the list he could pretty much blitz the house in one day, there are really only 2 "big" issues on it, can they now force us to close or can we hold out till all the crappy issues are done?

sorry for the long winded thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

If it's not done, then it's not done. As a person working for the "other side", I'd prefer to be told by a client if the snag wasn't finished because then I'd be on the phone to site murdering the snagger & foreman.

Ring the office & let them know that you're not happy & want them to make sure all items are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,304 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nanoc wrote:
    there was still lots of "snots" on the window sills and frames,
    ????
    plaster/cement on the ground,
    If its too much and would show through carpet, they need to fix it.
    paint on all the light switches
    I wouldn't worry too much about, use a stiff nail nylon brush and a razor blade (careful!)
    light switches and sockets and most of them not straight.
    Definitely not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

The fact is that they builders should be eager for you to sign off on the house in order to get your cash. Therefore pick out every fault, no matter how minor, and get them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

babaduck wrote:
    If it's not done, then it's not done. As a person working for the "other side", I'd prefer to be told by a client if the snag wasn't finished because then I'd be on the phone to site murdering the snagger & foreman.

Ring the office & let them know that you're not happy & want them to make sure all items are completed.
    exactly what I was going to say....

my brother paints new houses for a living and prides himself on the amount of revisits he doesn't have to do from snagging. Stick to your guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

what you should do is give your solicitor a copy of the original snag list and let him/her know what has/hasnt been done. He can/should let the builder know that x ,y ,z havent been done yet, and that you will not be signing until you are happy with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Nanoc wrote:
    can they now force us to close or can we hold out till all the crappy issues are done?
    They can't force you to close.
    What they can do is drive you mad until you give up, close the sale and fix everything yourself.

It worked on me. I spent a couple of weeks chasing them up on the snag list then gave up and fixed all the stuff myself in 2 hours.

Advertisement