Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ball speed

Options
  • 08-07-2006 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

on thursday i bought my self a driver im new to golf and in the shop they done
    a speed check on my swing to see what driver would suit me best. my speed was reading 148mph is this ok i only started playing 3 week ago. thanks
    for any info..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

firstly if you want qualified advice ask a pro,
    but are you talking about swing speed or ball speed cause they're two different things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Agreed JRH.

I had my speed measured once too, and was told that swing speed was approximately 2/3's of ball speed.. As a rough guide. I've no idea if this is true or not however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I find that a slower swing usually results in a better drive. People who tend to rush their swing seem to slice alot more . But thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

In answer to the OP....the guy at the golf shop woule have been talking about your ball speed.

On average professional golfers generally achieve a club head speed of 100 M.P.H. at the bottom of their swing. Tiger Woods has been noted to reach up to 125 M.P.H.

The faster your club head is going at the bottom of your swing, the greater the amount of kinetic energy that will be transferred from club head to the ball because the kinetic energy is proportional to the mass of the club head and the square of its velocity.

A club head with a speed of about 100 M.P.H. - The ball leaves the tee at about 140 mph.

Now as far as that being good or bad...if you can hit the ball straight down the middle, then it is good, if not...then the speed doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

not trying to appear negative caos sorry, i simply had a bad experience with a low handicapper always messing with my game and it turned out most of the advice was wrong and i would always stongly urge people to go to a pro if they can, thats all, you just need to be careful, i got a lot of bad advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Ball speed is determined by smash factor.

If you have a swing speed of 100 mph and a ballspeed of 150mph then your smash factor is 1.5.

A smash factor above 1.5 is very good, it means you are transfering almost all of the energy into the ball. The better the strike the higher the smash factor and more ballspeed.
    If your swingspeed is 100mph your ballspeed is very good. If your swing is 110+ you should ease off a bit for a better strike with more control and the same ball speeds.

I've used launch monitors and i can lash a driver at 125mph for a laugh but my ballspeed isn't any higher than with my normal swing at around 110mph

Advertisement