Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Help

Options
  • 07-07-2006 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me out with this one.

Friend of mine has a Compaq Presario 700 and its running unbelievable slow.

She wants to reinstal windows but doesn't have any of the disks that came with the laptop. Is it possible to reinstall windows with the cd?

Any help much apreciated!.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

orla wrote:
    doesn't have any of the disks that came with the laptop. Is it possible to reinstall windows with the cd?

arent you contradicting urself a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

The 700 series came with a restore cd not an XP CD. If you have an XP cd you still won't have all the original software or original drivers for the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As above...

Try sorting the issue without formatting/re-installing:

Download, and update AdAware SE and Spybot S&D (Anti-spyware software) and update the anti-virus software. (I'd recommend installing and updating AVG Free or Avast! if they're not already used as their detetion rates are quite good, and they tend to require less resources than many of the other packages such as Norton / Symantec)
    Ensure that all of the software definition's are up-to-date.
    Restart in Safe Mode (Keep tapping F8 on boot-up - Then select Safe Mode)
    Perform scans.

Remove items from the start-up group:
    Start -> run -> msconfig
    Focus on Startup
    Unticked = "Don't automatically start when Windows starts". It does not remove the software, or do anything else.
    See if you notice an improvement. (Leave Anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff ticked,generally.)
    Exit and Restart Windows.
    If this still fails, tick "hide MS services" and untick other items in the Services group -1 or 2 at a time.

If/when it's back in shape: Delete System Restore points and 'Ghost' the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

KamiKazi wrote:
    arent you contradicting urself a bit?
    Oh come on it was a typo!
    Karoma wrote:
    As above...

Try sorting the issue without formatting/re-installing:

Download, and update AdAware SE and Spybot S&D (Anti-spyware software) and update the anti-virus software. (I'd recommend installing and updating AVG Free or Avast! if they're not already used as their detetion rates are quite good, and they tend to require less resources than many of the other packages such as Norton / Symantec)
    Ensure that all of the software definition's are up-to-date.
    Restart in Safe Mode (Keep tapping F8 on boot-up - Then select Safe Mode)
    Perform scans.

Remove items from the start-up group:
    Start -> run -> msconfig
    Focus on Startup
    Unticked = "Don't automatically start when Windows starts". It does not remove the software, or do anything else.
    See if you notice an improvement. (Leave Anti-virus and anti-spyware stuff ticked,generally.)
    Exit and Restart Windows.
    If this still fails, tick "hide MS services" and untick other items in the Services group -1 or 2 at a time.

If/when it's back in shape: Delete System Restore points and 'Ghost' the computer.

Brilliant, thanks for the help. I'll try this out and see how i get on.

Advertisement