Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap membership in south dublin?

Options
  • 07-07-2006 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to join a club in south dublin (dun laoghaire direction) but I cant afford the hefty €15,000 membership that they seem to charge. Can anyone recomend a good golf course with cheap membership? North wicklow (bray, greystones) would also do!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

joejoem wrote:
    Hi, I'm looking to join a club in south dublin (dun laoghaire direction) but I cant afford the hefty €15,000 membership that they seem to charge. Can anyone recomend a good golf course with cheap membership? North wicklow (bray, greystones) would also do!

Cheers!

Guess it depends how much you DO want to spend. Personnally, if you are not going to spend the bigger money then you are better off leasing a memebership from year to year. You can get the likes of South County or similar course for 1300-1600 per year which includes your golf free and the bar/restaurant tab.

If you go the cheaper route...you can get Elm Green for 450/year but you still have to pay green fees when you go out(you get discounted rates for certain times).

Plain and simple you get what you pay for in most cases.

Again...I recommend leasing...I did this for 3 years at 2 different courses and did not regret it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks, what do you mean leaseing? Is this using someone elses membership at times they arent? Will I get a hindicap? Can I play in competitions?

Cheers!

joejoem wrote:
    Thanks, what do you mean leaseing? Is this using someone elses membership at times they arent? Will I get a hindicap? Can I play in competitions?

Cheers!
    Exactly....Some people may go off on holiday or get hurt. You take over their membership. You get a GUI and all club competitions just like a regular member.

You can try Dublin City if you want a cheap memebrship....probs the best low cost one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

thanks for that, yeah i was hoping to spend about three grand. I am fairly new at it, but I'm getting sick of paying €35 at least for a game of golf twice a wee, I would like to get a handicap and work on improving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Check out Citywest too, its just a trip up the M50 and is 900 for the lakes course (par 65 but a good course) or 1600 for the Championship and Lakes course (as far as I know). no green fees.

I joined the lakes course and just got my handicap, for 900 bucks I can't complain. Although the greens in the lakes course are suffering at the moment, the were great when I joined first)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TWoods

Dublin Mountain Golf Club (Gortlum, Brittas) have a special offer at the moment.
    €400 for July to December 2006,but you have to commit to the 2007 season,
    which will cost €799.
    So thats 18 months golf for €1199 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Come to Donegal. Narin Portnoo, a lovely links course on the Atlantic overlooking Arranmore Island. Annual membership €370, all the golf you want, any day of the week!

I think Citywest is probably the best deal in Dublin alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

extopia wrote:
    Come to Donegal. Narin Portnoo

I played the new layout a few months ago and it was fantastic but i hear there were planning issues and some of the new holes have to be reinstated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Big Red Stick

Roundwood Golf Club has a €5K deal for limited shares - you get no voting rights and no share re-sale, but full membership, play any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Roundwood Golf Club

Where's this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Golfnut

What courses in Kildare are open for membership? How much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

Golfnut wrote:

Played Newbridge at the weekend.....nice par 72 course, not too threatening to a beginner or medicore handicapper (14-18).
    Go the membership details too, €3000 for firstyear, €625 per year after that. Think its worth it, but would be still interested why a course 20 minutes from Dublin is so affordable (in relation to others of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Big Red Stick

GreenHorn wrote:
    Where's this?

On the road between Newtownmountkennedy and Roundwood. 15 Minutes on the N11 from Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

Golfnut wrote:
    http://www.woodlandsgolf.ie/membership.html

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

I was in the same position two years ago. I joined Dublin City which has no joining fee. My thinking was "Join for a couple of years, no risk, and if I don't like it I can move on with no money lost". The annual sub is a little on the high side (€1350 first year - 10% off if you renew on time €1215), but the €0 joining fee makes a huge difference. It's up to you to get value for money for your sub. I play 1-2 times a week during the winter and 2-3 times during the summer, so I've no complaints. 5-10 mins from M50, nice crowd in the club house, no stuffiness, and no problem getting a game if you don't know anyone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm also thinking about joining a golf club. Am a beginner and am trying to see the benefits of it - I'd only play a couple of times a month, but getting a GUI handicap might be handy for work society outings etc. I reckon a small fee plus green fees each time I play might suit me, though a cheap proper membership might be worthwhile too.

What questions should I ask when trying to find out about membership?

Is the lakes course at citywest worth it if I was to join for that only? I played the Championship course once and liked it. However, I've heard that it can be difficult to get a tee time there even as a member and the high level of corporate events mean there's regularly lots of jokers on the course. Anyone any insight on that?

I'm also thinking about joining a golf club. Am a beginner and am trying to see the benefits of it - I'd only play a couple of times a month, but getting a GUI handicap might be handy for work society outings etc. I reckon a small fee plus green fees each time I play might suit me, though a cheap proper membership might be worthwhile too.

What questions should I ask when trying to find out about membership?

Is the lakes course at citywest worth it if I was to join for that only? I played the Championship course once and liked it. However, I've heard that it can be difficult to get a tee time there even as a member and the high level of corporate events mean there's regularly lots of jokers on the course. Anyone any insight on that?

Frank if you only want your GUI, then get a Country membership somewhere. There are a lot out there where you pay 200-300, play your 3 rounds there to get your GUI HC and then play anywhere you want after that.

If you want to be a member somewhere...the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Elm Green is cheap, but so is the course.

As per my previous post, I highly recommend leasing from someone at a better course. Look at Buy and Sell.ie or call around to some courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I love the title, very rarely do you find the words "Cheap" and "South Dublin" in the same breath!

I've often heard of these places that offer a handicap for 3 cards and a fee, but how then do you go about improving that handicap, plus what if it was one of those weekends where nothing goes your way, are you stuck with a nasty 20 odd handicap for life?

Advertisement