Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buddhist relics visit dublin

Options
  • 07-07-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Rare Buddha Relics Visit Dublin
    Interfaith Centre, Dublin City University
    July 28th, 29th and 30th

No entrance charge, donations welcome

EVERYONE WELCOME

A precious collection of sacred relics of the Buddha and many other Buddhist masters, currently touring the world, is stopping briefly in Dublin.

The relics were found among the cremation ashes of Buddhist masters. They resemble beautiful pearl-like crystals. Buddhists believe the relics embody the master’s spiritual qualities of compassion and wisdom and have been deliberately produced by the master so that all may share in their blessing.

To view a relic is extremely rare as normally relics are permanently enshrined inside statues and stupas and are rarely made available for public viewing, much less taken out of their resident countries.

Visitors report experiences of inspiration and healing while in the presence of the relics. Some people are inspired to pray for world peace and to develop their inner wisdom, others simply cry and feel their heart gently opening.

The relics are clearly visible inside display cases that encircle a life-size, golden statue of the Maitreya Buddha. Throughout the event, there will be Blessing Ceremonies – the relics of Buddha are gently placed on the crown of the visitors head for a personal blessing.

When the Tour finishes, the Relics will be enshrined in a 500ft golden statue of Maitreya Buddha in northern India. Maitreya is the future Buddha known as the Buddha of loving-kindness.

Building the statue itself is not the main goal – the purpose is to inspire an open, kind heart. When people see the giant Maitreya statue on TV or visit the statue, they will reflect on what it means to have a good heart. It will be a symbol of faith for millions all over the world.

“The very name ‘Maitreya’ means loving-kindness – in today’s world, we really need loving-kindness. This project is really wonderful and is the result of great courage and determination, and from the depths of my heart I appreciate and applaud this wonderful project.”
    -His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

jackie g wrote:
    Rare Buddha Relics Visit Dublin

Thanks jackie g, only wish I could be there to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

the purpose is to inspire an open kind heart!?

what kind of purpose is this?

i just don't know sometimes.......

(i'm kidding)

interfaith mingling is very much like intermusic mingling. (sorry I'm thinking about another thread) how could it not be? with a little less emphasis on being right and just a pinch of hope/courtesy/decency I suspect we're gonna be alright......

if this sounds like touchy feely wishy washy sitting on the fence spirituality then I've finally managed to kick my aggressive, antagonsitic, arrogant ego into the background and hope that others interested in this subject will do the same. I probably shoudn't post this but do so in the hope that you are of a patient temperment.

how's everybody anyway? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

with a little less emphasis on being right and just a pinch of hope/courtesy/decency I suspect we're gonna be alright......
    Indeed yes.
    if this sounds like touchy feely wishy washy sitting on the fence spirituality then I've finally managed to kick my aggressive, antagonsitic, arrogant ego into the background and hope that others interested in this subject will do the same. I probably shoudn't post this but do so in the hope that you are of a patient temperment.
    How wonderful you feel you are winning. The 3 big problems I have to always combat are GAS, greed, anger and stupidity.
    Yes we are indeed of a patient temperment, it is the only way to make progress:)
    how's everybody anyway? :D
    Alive and kicking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

hi doc,

you can find more details on www.maitreyaproject.org it is a project of the foundation for the preservation of the mahayana tradtion, run by lama zopa rinpoche.

i think it is just being hosted in the interfaith centre in dcu, because dcu is a good venue, not as part of any inter-faith initiative per se if you know what i mean.

i think it is still possible to stay true to your beliefs and have a respect for those of others. for example, i have much more of an appreciation now of my mother's devote catholicism as a result of my own buddhist practice than i would have had in the past, but this doesn't mean i water down my own beliefs and start subsituting the rosary for ngondro !! i know what you mean though, i still get people who give me angels, dreamcatchers,essential oils etc because they think i am "into that kind of thing" when i try to explain that "my thing is buddhism, full stop" !!!. i think it would be a good opportunity to see the relics in any event, but i won't be around at the time, on retreat for two weeks in lerab ling, france at the time.

best wishes, jackie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

thats great! tx for addressing the text to me, I'll be sure to bring a few people along.

I find myself much more easy going with the rituals of Roman Catholicism and other fine religions at the moment too.

And if you want to get rid of any old dreamcatchers I'll take 'em. :D

hope you have a great time in France. I understand that the Dalai Lama isn't too well at the moment, overworking as always. Needless to say, we all wish him a speedy recovery, being the number one dude in the universe (and I don't mean that facetiously in any way).
    I hope to get enough money together to see him when he opens the temple in a few months.

have a great one! d.

• Advertisement
Advertisement