Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail.. Soilders of destiny?

Options
  • 07-07-2006 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Hi there,

I am trying to settle a discussion with a friend. He says that Fianna Fail actually doesn't mean soilders of destiny, but, instead, soilders of Ireland as, he claims, Fail (Fal) was an old irish word for Ireland.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A more accurate translation is Soldiers of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 An.fear.bocht

Dictionary says:

Fáil1 see faigh

Faigh vt (verb transitive) get; receive etc...

-Fáil2 = nf3 of fál

fál nm1 hedge; fence etc..

As we can see from the Gaeilge>Béarla dictionary.. the direct translation to english might not make much sense.

As far as i know Soldiers of destiny and Soldiers of Ireland are both accepted translations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Fáil means destiny, Scottish Kings and Queens were crowned sitting on the Lia Fáil or stone of destiny - same as at Tara for the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

If you look at the Irish anthem

'sine fianna fail' and its english translation' soilders are we, who pledged our lives for Ireland' It would translate roughly across as soilders of ireland. I'll have to agree with PHB on this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was the anthem written in English and then translated ?
    If so then what did the original say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Was the anthem written in English and then translated ?
    If so then what did the original say.

Here
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~laurieyoung/anthem.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Fáil means destiny, Scottish Kings and Queens were crowned sitting on the Lia Fáil or stone of destiny - same as at Tara for the Irish.

Same stone, It was borrowed from Ireland for a cornation and never given back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I was at Tara on June 21st and saw the Lia Fáil. Is it a replacement then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 giggidtygig2

Hi there,

I am trying to settle a discussion with a friend. He says that Fianna Fail actually doesn't mean soilders of destiny, but, instead, soilders of Ireland as, he claims, Fail (Fal) was an old irish word for Ireland.
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    If you take out the D in that typo there, you actually have "soilers of ireland", which by some yardsticks is not too far from the truth... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crip

Fál is an ancient name for Ireland.

Lia Fáil means the 'stone of Ireland', though it became commonly known in English as the 'Stone of Destiny'; thus the misconception entered the English language that 'Fianna Fáil' means 'Soldiers of Destiny' rather than its true translation, 'Soldiers of Ireland'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

The soldier/army/rank/uniform fantasy that lies at the heart of Irish pseudo-republicanism has lead to the deaths of so many Irish people. In short "Fianna" is the problem, not "Fail".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Yes it does mean "Soldiers of Ireland" not "destiny". "Cinniúint" is the Irish word for "destiny".The "Soldiers/Stone of Destiny" title is an inaccurate and fanciful translation(the basis of which I have never understood, to be honest). And to anyone who doesn't accept it, I'd like you to show me more conclusive proof than the Fianna Fáil party claiming it to be so. I take their authority on the Irish language about as seriously as I take their paltry efforts to revive the said same language.

In Irish literature, the analogy of "Inis Fáil" was frequently used to describe Ireland.

I am looking at Foclóir Uí Dhónaill right now, which is the most comprehensive and authorative Irish dictionary there is in the current day and it lists the meaning of Fál('Fáil' being the genetive form) being:
    Fál, m. (gs. Fáil), In names of Ireland(in names of Ireland) Inis, Críocha, Fáil, (the island, territories of) Ireland. Fir Fáil, the men of Ireland. Ná ceil ar fheara Fáil é, don't make a secret of it.

If you consult the words Fianna Fáil in the same dictionary, it simply describes it as:
    Fianna Fáil, Fianna Fáil political party

Advertisement