Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis and depression

Options
  • 07-07-2006 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

I was just talking to some friends the other day about cannabis use and it dawned on me, that out of all my friends who use cannabis or have used it heavily in the past (many of whom have also been users of other drugs including speed, E and cocaine) with just one exception have problems with depression.

Now I know its often suggested that cannabis use may contribute to the development of depression, but is this scientifically approved or otherwise proven? From anecdotal evidence there does seem to me to be some kind of link - all these people have significant enough depressive episodes to be on medication, at least 4 of them perpetually. They all also have a lot of problems with relationships, and 3 of the 5 heavy users also often display inappropriate agression at times and would be regarded by others as "difficult."

What I am wondering here if there are actually 2 scenarios:

1. Cannabis link to depression
    or
    2. People with chemical depression more attracted to cannabis? (or maybe get more out of it than non-users?)

Its just interesting as there does seem to be a link but I'm wondering if the link is actually down to chemical affects on brains that already have chemical inbalances by drug use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I'm a long term user and have never suffered from depression (other than that felt when the alarm goes at 7:30am in the morning).

I think it's very much related to the individual. I know a few people who've been adversely affected by it, but for the most part my friends who smoke are generally happy.

My main worry about smoking would be the risk of suffering severe mental illness in young adulthood due to the permanent alteration of the alpha brain waves that can lead to schizophrenia, dimensia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I find Pills (Ecstacy) to make me very depressed that's why I stopped taking them. Could be them more than dope, I mean you hit the ground with a bang after taking pills and it takes days to get over them, if you take enough maybe you never get over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Not really suited to this board I don't think.

But I would say that it's hard to say if this things are caused by the drug use or just made worse by it. I do believe that many teenagers who may find themselves feeling depressed and don't really know why or what it is can find themselves drawn to drugs as a way to relieve the feeling, a way to get away from their thoughts etc. However this drug use can later on amplify the problem that they were initially trying to get away from.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

shoegirl
    Please read this forums charter, this is not a PI.
    Moved to Humanities.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

There is a theory that a lot of long term drug users are self-medicating for pre-existing conditions and this is what makes a statement either way difficult.

Personally I'm using it years and have not had depression problems unless there were other reasons and they are not persistent, when the issue clears, so does the depression, but the constant factor has been cannabis use throughout. I wouldn't get up in the morning and smoke as do a lot of the people I know who smoke a lot, I reserve it for when I am off work, as I like to keep a strict line. I feel by doing this that an employer has no right to know what I do in my freetime, if I was coming in stoned it would be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Having lived with a smoker, in my experience excess use results in mental issues.

It is a vicious circle. Smoke to chill out or de-stress, which after a time increases depression and so smoke more, as the above poster suggests - it is self-medicating in a way.

Probably a combination of both your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I haven't really seen that much data to link cannabis with depression (the majority of studies tend to focus on links with schizophrenia) but there is some evidence. One study of children and their tendency towards depression and anxiety disorders cited prenatal cannabis use by the mother as a possible causative factor, link to the abstract. Another study involving secondary school students who use cannabis didn't find much of a link to depression, abstract here. I don't think it can directly cause depression but may act as a trigger in cases where a person is borderline (in the case of schizophrenia I believe it has a much stronger effect in pushing towards mental illness).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I think that depressions and cannabis depends very much on the person. I know one person who would maybe have 4 joints a month and he developed mild schizophrenia and I've seen someone develop serious schizophrenia ( saw dead relatives things that weren't there... pretty disturbing ) As someone will probably point out cannabis will bring out mental illness only if this illness exists in your body. For most you'll be grand but some will suffer consequences. I'm only 19 and I've seen 2 people more of less destroyed from cannabis. I smoke but that dosen't mean I smoke all day everyday. As far as ecstacy is concerned, from what I've seen, the comedown the morning after the night before is enough to make anyone depressed. I've had close friends waking up in sweats in the middle of the night because they haven't had a smoke in 3 days... if that happened to me I'm pretty sure I'd stop outright. I used to smoke enough ( about 2 a day ) but now I'm having about 2 every three weeks or a month. I feel better now anyway and I'd appreciate a joint much more now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

you might find this link interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_issues_and_the_effects_of_cannabis

It's difficult to find peer-reviewed studies of cannabis since it is a prohibited substance in most countries.

The problem is that its hard to find unbiased research into the subject. Both sides want to prove ultimately that they're correct, so its easy to find faults with just about any research.

I've been a regular user for about 12 years now. Regular in that I'll smoke during the weekends. I've never gotten depression from smoking, rather I've received positive experiences, with the exception of occasional paranoia (light cases, non-violent), and a desire to take a piss. :rolleyes:

I believe it depends on the state you enter the smoke with, and the doses people have on a regular basis. If you're already depressed, smoking with enhance that state. Added to this, if you're smoking every day, this will have a huge impact since other negative factors will come into play( especially since few heavy smokers lead active/healthy lifestyles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

well my taking drugs like a rock star on his birthday days are well and truly over, coffee and cider are about the only two i regularly indulge in...

i'm not very pro drugs at all at all, but these threads pop up quite regularly and there are some misconceptions that regularly reoccur.

first of all.... clinical depression != "feeling a bit low for a few days after a feed of pills" clinical depression is a medical condition that destroys lives and families, is poorly understood, and often not diagnosed properly. "feeling a bit depressed" also != clinical depression.

is it possible that long term mdma use could precipitate clinical depression?

certainly.

is it the only or even a significant cause of it?

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

It hasnt been proven that cannabis causes depression, there is absolutely no concrete evidence to confirm that/ However, it is known that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the main active ingredient of cannabis, can, and does aggrevate the neurochemical imbalances of the brain for those suffering from certain mental illnesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement