Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Polo Engine

Options
  • 06-07-2006 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey all,
    I've got a 96 polo but the head gaskets on it are gone so basically it needs a new engine. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick up a second hand/reconditioned engine for it. Its a 1ltr.

Cheers,
    esmurph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

A worn head gasket is not in itself a reason to scrap an engine. Get the gasket replaced. If you don't feel it's economical to change the gasket then replacing the entire engine is definitely not what you want to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd have to agree with el tel. A blown head gasket is no reson to replace the whole engine - unless there is more to it than simply a blown gasket.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 esmurph

as far as I know the engine does need to be replaced. i'm not exactly wrong with it, It mustin be the head gaskets so.

Any one know where I can pick one up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

esmurph wrote:
    as far as I know the engine does need to be replaced. i'm not exactly wrong with it, It mustin be the head gaskets so.

Any one know where I can pick one up?

I'd find out exactly what's wrong with it first, then decide whether or not it needs replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

a 1L head gasket is about as difficult as repairing a ride on lawnmower.
    Determine exactly why it needs a new engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

id agree with the guys above. They have a habit of chewing piston rings which is a messier affair and can give similar results.

What are the cars symptoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 esmurph

id agree with the guys above. They have a habit of chewing piston rings which is a messier affair and can give similar results.

What are the cars symptoms?

Basically it doesn't start any more

AMurphy wrote:
    a 1L head gasket is about as difficult as repairing a ride on lawnmower.
    Determine exactly why it needs a new engine.

Hey yeah, wasn't fully sure what was wrong with it as I only inherited the thing.
    Went down to the mech today, as far as he could remember the camshaft had gone. Some thing about driving with low oil... very low.
    Its been a few months now since he looked at it but he said that it was too big a job for the car as its a 96 and that it would be cheaper just to get a recond/second hand engine put in.

Haven't been able to track down any dealers on the net.

Does anyone know of one?

Thanks for your help,

esmurph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If both the head gasket and the crank are knackered then, yeah, get a new donkey. But it's seldom that I've come across a car with both damaged. If I was you I'd get a second opinion. No harm to be sure before you spend serious money on repairing a 96 Polo.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If it does need a new engine, you'd be better off getting a new car in fairness. It's a 96...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Well if the cams are damged due to runnining with low oil, you can be pretty sure the big end bearings had a rough time of it too.

Get a 2nd opinion and take it from there. From the outset, it sounds like you might be better off with another car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement