Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone had much experience with IFA Telecom?

Options
  • 06-07-2006 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I rang recently about their wireless broadband product and they said that I would have to register before they would carry out a line of sight survey. They sent out their registration form which was actually a “Customer Activation Agreement” form with a direct debate mandate.

I phoned again to check it this was the correct form and they said it was and if my house didn’t pass the survey then direct debit would not be activated. I had a quick look at the fine print and the contract starts from when both parties sign the agreement, not when you are actually connected, and the minimum period is 12 months not 6 months as stated in the flyer they also sent me.

Is this standard practice with these guys???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its a resold someone else, their dsl is a resold imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

When did they start doing wireless and where?
    Fair play for reading the fine print, most people don't, and then whinge when they realise they were stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

I am not too sure when they started, I just saw a flyer in a local shop in Wexford and decided to give them a shout.

Its possibly IBB . IFA telecoms do not own any wireless gear anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

I think it is through Callidus Telecom, have you heard of them?

• Advertisement

ShowAndGo wrote:
    I think it is through Callidus Telecom, have you heard of them?

I know nothing about Callidus . It looks plausible for you though.
    Current Coverage Areas

Co. Dublin: Athgoe, Chapelizod, Citywest, Clondalkin, Hollystown. Kilbride, Lucan, Mulhuddart, Newcastle, Rathcoole, Saggart, Tallaght The Ward, Tyrellstown

Co. Kildare Athy, Celbridge, Maynooth, Peacockstown, Straffan,The Curragh

Co. Wexford Adamstown, Clonroche, Enniscorthy, Foulksmills, Newbawn, Old Ross, Raheen, Taghmon, Gorey

Co. Waterford Annestown, Butterstown, Dungarven, Dunhill, Dunhinch, Kill, Corbally.Portlaw

Co. Kilkenny Ballyragget, Freshford, Castlecomer Johnstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 murrayj

Sponge Bob wrote:
    its a resold someone else, their dsl is a resold imagine.

As far as I know IMAGINE re-sell UTV who re-sell BT who re-sell eircom! If you are now saying that IFA re-sell IMAGINE, there are 5 companies in this supply-chain!

What the hell's going on...are they trying to ensure that there is always someone else to blame when there are customer service problems?

If I were you I would cut out some of the middle-men if you want to get any kind of service.

murrayj wrote:
    As far as I know IMAGINE re-sell UTV who re-sell BT who re-sell eircom!

And you are wrong there so don't bother telling anyone any more like a good lad.

Callidus are wireless , the OP is enquiring about a wireless service of which I self admittedly know as much as you do......which is **** all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

We've had IFA wireless for a few months now, it being the only provider offering coverage at the time.

I'm no IT professional, but as I understand it the technical term for the service they provide is %$*&ing &$%^"cks. To me, "always on" means "works all the time", "Broadband" means "greater than zero bandwidth", and "customer service" means "we'll fix things when they break".

In a nutshell, IFA don't speak my language. For several hours a day, there is *no* connection. For most of the day, any connection we do manage to get is definitely stretching any sensible definition of "broadband". Every time a problem is reported, we're told "oh we've just upgraded the entire network" or some similar nonsense.

Given that line of sight is not an issue [we live on the only hill for about 50km] and the equipment checks out [when it works, it works], I would conclude that they just don't have the bandwidth to sell.

If you want to check emails twice a week and maybe book the odd flight, they'd be fine. Given that you're using Boards, I'd guess you're looking for something better. However, you're probably in the same boat as us - i.e. at the mercy of this country's utterly pathetic broadband infrastructure and stuck with whatever cowboy operator happens to cover your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I live in the centre of the Derrinturn (Carbury) of Kildare and applied for their wireless product last summer '2006'. I heard nothing until November, when they said that some guy will be around to check line of sight. In January I got a letter basically saying that I was out of sight. I rang them and said I lived in the middle of the village with no objects blocking me, and they said this clown called and surveyed and had no joy. I asked them why they published details saying that my area was on line, and I wasnt, they said they had about 10 customers in the area.:confused:, and can only go on his survey. The only two houses I know that have a wireless service are about 3 miles away near Allenwood, and no-one else has any wireless service.:( A big joke if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Philzer

Lads,

Have to be fair to IFA Telecom.

From my experience, I cannot complain.

Live in Tipperary and have broadband and calls package which is very competitive and offers good connection regularly.

Any issues have been settled in a reasonable time, altough we'd all love this to be quicker. They sent the Eircom expert to sort our line to house and all was soon fine.

So....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Philzer wrote: »
    Lads,

Have to be fair to IFA Telecom.

From my experience, I cannot complain.

Live in Tipperary and have broadband and calls package which is very competitive and offers good connection regularly.

Any issues have been settled in a reasonable time, altough we'd all love this to be quicker. They sent the Eircom expert to sort our line to house and all was soon fine.

So....

Dude, you just bumped a three year old thread....

EDIT: CHRIST! I can't even count today... its four years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I know this is a very very old thread but can I just avoid IFA Telecom like the plague.

Advertisement