Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiction books referenced by other fiction books

Options
  • 05-07-2006 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Thread title doesn't make sense :rolleyes:

So I was reading Fury by GM Ford last night and the main protagonist has a boat called "FoamFollower" or something similar. Anyway another character asks where he got the name for the boat and he tells her it's from a character in the "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: The Unbeliever" by Stephen Donaldson.

I've seen this kind of tribute in the Moonstone by Wilkie Collins where one of the characters constantly refers to the genius of Daniel Defoes Robinson Crusoe.

For me, I like it but it kind of bings me out of the world I have been immersed in while reading and back to reality with a bang. Strange.

So what tributes have you noticed?
    Does it make your mind jerk back to reality a bit?
    Do yo ulike it or hate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Stephen King references his own books in the Dark Tower series.
    He even turns up as a character later in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm reading John Brosnan's "Mothership" and it just referenced "The Lord of the Rings"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Paulo Coelho is always referencing himself and his books... sometimes to ill effect as the story falls flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It can be really jarring if the author is just doing it to get intellectual cred. However, at other times, can be illuminating or a handy way of finding out about some cool other book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Have any of you read Jorge Luis Borges? He used to make up dozens of fake books (and go into loads of detail about them) and reference them in his fictions. It's very annoying when you go looking for them lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How about the Da Vinci Code... oh I forgot that other one wasn't fiction. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Poets, rather than fiction writers, seem to reference other writers. T.S. Eliot comes to mind.

In the hands of a poor writer, cross referencing can become really boring. Academics searching for references in "The Great Gatsby" must be some of the most tiresome people on the Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

John2 wrote:
    Have any of you read Jorge Luis Borges? He used to make up dozens of fake books (and go into loads of detail about them) and reference them in his fictions. It's very annoying when you go looking for them lol

I'm a great fan of Borges in a superficial sort of way. I'm not well read enough to recognise his references. His obsession with libraries is contageous. A fabulous, intricate mind... but he always seemed to be on another planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

or the princess bride, supposed to be an abridged version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

John2 wrote:
    Stephen King references his own books in the Dark Tower series.

King does it very well - seeing as most his books are set in Maine, he casually references another book, but not in way that doesn't make sense if you haven't read the other book.

It happens a lot (unavoidably) for a series of books, but it has on occasion ruined a book for me. For instance, I read one of Michael Connnelly's books out of sequence by mistake, and the book I had missed was pretty much ruined for me.

In fact, in the sequel to "Blood Work", Connelly referred to the film that was made out of the first film, but because they had changed the plot so much in the film, he had to refer to this fact as well in the film in order for it to make sense. Terrible, terrible adaptation by the way.

This isn't really the same at all, but I remember Clive Cussler writing himself into one his novels; I don't think I have ever read such self-serving pretentious crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement