Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Grandmothers English :

Options
  • 05-07-2006 12:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was recently making a list of phrases that my grandmotrher used to use when she was alive. A lot of them sounded like she was a character in Joyce and most I can explain expect for this bugger.

"I'd have no mass in that" meaning "I'm not interested in that"

Now I'm guessing that it's spelt 'mass' but does anyone still use this in everyday speech and does anyone know of it's origins?

EDIT: ! The ' in the title disappeared?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Possibly from the the Irish "meas" meaning respect? Never heard it spoken myself. Tis interesting indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I'm from Nenagh, Co.Tipp and that's a really common saying round here. It does indeed come from the Irish 'meas' (prounounced mass) or respect as the previous poster suggested. It's generally used round here to mean you dont really respect/trust someone or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happydaz

other great sayings include 'i'll go through you for a shortcut' , 'she didn't pick it up off the ground' and 'i'm not as green as i am cabbage looking'

great stuff....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Cheers folks. My family are from South Tipperary so it looks like toomevara's reply confirms things.

You know this makes me reall happy. I love it when I find an Irish word being used in everyday-English and especially when you didn't even know it was Irish to begin with :)

Advertisement