Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

couldnt put it down

Options
  • 04-07-2006 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

What is the most compulsively unputdownable book you have ever read.

For me it has to be Motley Crue - the Dirt (!). Steal this book if you have to. ive never encountered 4 more despicable human beings in my life...makes for the most hilarious biography ive ever read. repeat...steal this if you have to

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Sophies world by Jostein Gaarder. Excellent mystery journey through the world of philosophy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Cosmos - Carl Sagan
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    Man in the High Castle - Philip K.Dick

...and heaps more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Where to start?

Atomised: houellebecq
    Anything by Banville
    Anything by Sebastian Barry
    Just read Tourism by Nirpal Singh Dhaliwal which I read in one sitting...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Anything by Carl Hiassen - he's hilarious. Not a lot of people get him but I think he's great.

Most of Salman Rushdies books - except for the Satanic Verses. I'm mentally preparing myself to restart this next week.

I could'nt put down the Stand by Stephen King - that was great.

Oh and Captain Correlli's Mandolin and Birds without Winds were fairly unputdownable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jonathon Norrell and Mr. Strange - Susanna Clarke (who lives in Cambridge :D)
    The Stand - Stephen King
    The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins
    The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

EDIT: How could I forget? - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Deer wrote:

Most of Salman Rushdies books - except for the Satanic Verses. I'm mentally preparing myself to restart this next week.

Is it bad? I just started it last night, got through 6 pages or so but was too tired to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

The first chapter is mind blowing. I started the next three chapters last year and to be honest it needed my full concentration so I put it on the bookshelf and I've forgotten about it until now! I'll read it in conjunction with you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

r3nu4l wrote:
    The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

I suppose you could say it was so good that it was unputdownable, but I doubt anyone has read it in one sitting, it would take 5 days non-stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My friend read it in two. How much he took in I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

Harldy the stuff of great literature, but for me it has to be the Harry Potter series. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Sophies world by Jostein Gaarder. Excellent mystery journey through the world of philosophy.

Excellent book, really entertaining.

My own would have to be Naive.Super by a Norwegian author Erlend Loe, a lovely, uplifting book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any of the old Tom Clancy's were unputdownable. Not because they're great works of literature, but the man did know how to weave a good story.

More recently, I found "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski and "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Claire Niffenberger (I think) impossible to put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

dudara wrote:

"The Time Traveller's Wife" by Claire Niffenberger (I think)

It's Audrey Niffenegger, and yep, its an excellent read...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Um... mebbeh Donna Tartt's Secret History and Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities. Two that spring to mind, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Lord of the Flies. Each and every time I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

"Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks. Brilliant read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

For me...

Contact - Carl Sagan

Absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

For me it has to be Motley Crue - the Dirt (!). Steal this book if you have to. ive never encountered 4 more despicable human beings in my life...makes for the most hilarious biography ive ever read. repeat...steal this if you have to

I'd agree with "The Dirt", really funny yet sad in some places. Very easy to read as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I have to agree with you about Harry Potter. Also I heard of people who read the Lord of the rings in two days. I heard somebody say that their frine did it and then when asked what he thought of aragorn he was just like "WHO?"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Valmont wrote:
    I suppose you could say it was so good that it was unputdownable, but I doubt anyone has read it in one sitting, it would take 5 days non-stop!

6 days actually :rolleyes: The very first time I read it.

Other books

Perfume - Patrick Susskind
    David Copperfield (surprised me too)
    Life of Pi
    Stalingrad - Anthony Beevor
    The Curious Tale of the Dog in the Night
    Of Mice and Men/The Pearl Steinbeck
    Pretty much anything by Peter Ackroyd

and Hunger by Knut Hamson( will make you hungry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm surprised people have mentioned Catch-22. One of my all-time favourite books, but with it's meandering plot and writing-style, it can be quite heavy going at times.

The last book I was really hooked on was DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

So many books- so little time!

I have read so many books in my life that have totally consumed me for the time I was reading them...sorry for not including author's names, my memory for names is unforgivable!

The Lord of the Rings (have read more than 30 times, never in only 1 sitting but I believe the title 'couldn't put it down' was figurative, forgive me if I'm wrong.
    Magician (& the others in the series)
    The Servant of the Empire (Daughter & Mistress)
    Anything in 'the riftwar series)
    The dark material series (?)
    Harry Potter
    Eragon/Eldest- can't wait for the new one
    Wuthering Heights
    Perfume
    The Incredible Lightness of Being-is that the one set in New York??
    The Dark Tower Series
    Ramsees series (except the last one- the black one!)

So many books that I have LOVED to bits when I read them & then forgotten that I loved them, have even re-read books & halfway through realised that I have already read them... my brain is a mush!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

'Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafron, an extremely good book. Someone else mentioned 'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Niffenger, which i also couldnt put down and i read it in about 2 days.

Harry Potter as well but mainly the last 3 books published. Someone said that Harry Potter is "hardly great literature". I think its a shame that readers think about the series like that. Just because its been enormously succesful, doesnt mean that its a badly written book. I think its an amazing story with just the right balance of humour and drama and that each book is very well written apart from the first one. ( I always find that when i re read the first one, the way you are told how Harry is feeling more than actually reading him speak, a little annoying )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

two by Stephen King;

It (enjoyed the film at the time but the book just drew me in and blew me away)

The Stand

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

two by Stephen King;

It (enjoyed the film at the time but the book just drew me in and blew me away)

yeah same here, definitely his best

the books of blood series by clive barker are excellent as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I should have added "Watership Down" by Richard Adams to my list. Absolutely brilliant!

Advertisement