Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Title of forum confuses me

Options
  • 04-07-2006 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Apologies if I'm wrong but the title of this forum led me to expect dicussions on the subjects known as "the humanities" - as in languages, philosophy, arts, etc. Most of the threads here seem to come under the heading of "social studies" or "social issues". Have I missed something?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Don't confuse whats normally discussed here with what the forum is for.
    Just about any serious discussion is allowed here, unless it is better suited somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Petramac, I tend to agree with you. Much of what appears here is politics. The philosophy "page" seems to be ignored by anyone with an interest in philosophy. Yes, of course I realize that pols. and Phil. are core to the humanities. However, it doesn't seem to matter as long as the discussions take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Petramac, I tend to agree with you. Much of what appears here is politics. The philosophy "page" seems to be ignored by anyone with an interest in philosophy. Yes, of course I realize that pols. and Phil. are core to the humanities. However, it doesn't seem to matter as long as the discussions take place.

its more socialology

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Socialology.

There are language, philosophy and arts boards PetraMac, perhaps you will find the topics you are looking for there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Debates here tend not to be sociology.

The philosophy board should be avoided. It's too depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Earthhorse wrote:
    Socialology.

There are language, philosophy and arts boards PetraMac, perhaps you will find the topics you are looking for there.

Ah sure, start something here. The scope of the forum is far braoder than you'd think by looking at its recent contents.

This forum seems to be more about the broader subjects. The Politics board is quite specfic in what they talk about, but the references & evidences provided come in a very formal manner. The humanities board lacks that precise & almost clinical approach to subjects whereby you still talk about the subject & involving your own emotions.

I would see this board as being more human than the other boards. The other boards get too serious about a subject and allow no leeway towards real personal feelings as opposed to the bare facts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement