Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna buy a book?

Options
  • 04-07-2006 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

Hello boys and girls!

I just thought you might like to know that there is a sale on in Hodges Figgis in Dawson St and there are two titles that might be of interest to you.

Re-Enchantment by Jeffrey Paine is the story of Tibetan Buddhism's introduction to the West. Its fascinating, quirky and actually quite funny too. It's for sale at 3.99 i think.
    One of the people he deals with is the 19th century writer Alexandra David-Peel who introduced the common reader in the West to many buddhist concepts like reincarnation and karma and was the first woman to reach Lhasa. I've ordered in a few of her books and they should be in stock in a few weeks.

Another title for sale is The Essence of Buddha by Ryuho Okawa at 4.50e.I haven't opened this one, sorry.

both these titles can be found on the table near the philosophy section.

Feel free to take a chair in the shop and browse through expensive titles like The Tibetan Book of the Dead and Peaceful Death, Joyful Rebirth by Tulku Thondup. Both these titles are fascinating although not really beginner material, better to open The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche if you are, like me, just starting off.

For any readers who are part of a group and want to order multiple copies of a title PM me here and I'll get you a decent discount.

Finally, some paperback copies of my new favourite adventure title have come in: The Heart of the World' by Ian Baker who is half Indiana Jones and half buddhist scholar. A monster of a read, tough going but beautifully written and very rewarding. A lifetime's learning has gone into this title and it will be a very famous book in only a couple of years. Don't read it if you don't like leeches! :D

finally, if there is an expensive title that you cannot find anywhere else please feel free to pm me here and I'll see what I can do. I have special powers when it comes to locating books! ;)

take care, des.

Advertisement