Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground/political hip hop

Options
  • 03-07-2006 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm looking for some decent underground or political hip hop. Something with a message. None of this bling bling look how many cars and diamonds I have stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you're looking for political stuff try Immortal Technique or The Coup or of course KRS-One (in particular his early stuff with Boogie Down Productions, there was a double cd best of recently released if you want a decent sample of their stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Dead Prez - Let's Get Free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

The Kings of Political Rap = Public Enemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

From a political point of view,anything by Public Enemy,Paris,KRS-One,Spearhead,Dead Prez,Immortal Technique and The Coup.

The underground is a far larger part of Hip-Hop,best artists to look out for are the likes of Cunninlynguists,Edan,J-Live,Murs and a whole shedload of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

You seem to have overlooked 2pac...

Letter to the President
    Changes
    They Dont Give A F*ck About Us
    Holler If Ya Hear Me
    Brenda's Got A Baby
    Part Time Mutha
    Trapped

Basically all of the 2pacalypse Now and Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.Z albums...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the perceptionists - black dialogue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

Yep, anything with Mr. Lif on it. Check out I Phantom and his new one Mo' Mega.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Fight The Power-Public Enemy
    Mosh-Eminem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Beefeater

all the above are good mentions.
    Also try Saul Williams, especially his second one which is very politically charged, Sage Francis, Michael Frannti & Spearhead, Lost Children of Babylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

punky wrote:
    I'm looking for some decent underground or political hip hop. Something with a message. None of this bling bling look how many cars and diamonds I have stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Nimrod - Made by the Government

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭curious_george

The aforementioned Saul Williams as well as Dalek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kanibus

Wordsworth, Dead Prez, KRS One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Beefeater

There isnt much politically charged songs on Wordsworths Mirror Music, dont get me wrong one of my favourite artists and albums, but not much politics. He did do that anti Bush thing though 'Slam Bush'.its brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kanibus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txnD03oVULA

Theres the Slam Bush rap!

Advertisement