Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 46A historical diversion through Monkstown Farm

Options
  • 03-07-2006 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

The 46A route from Dun Laoghaire takes a lengthy diversion when it turns into Monkstown Farm. Monkstown Farm is a very narrow residential road and the diversion requires the bus to negotiate two extra junctions and a right turn when it reaches Baker's Corner. The shorter route to Baker's Corner is along Kill Avenue and is about half the distance.

I can only the guess that the reason for the historic route is that the Monkstown Farm houses predate the other local housing estates, and thus the bus took this route to increase the catchment. Presumably there was little other road traffic in the 1930s to contend with.

Now additional housing estates cover the whole area and a high density development of 1700 dwellings has been proposed for the Golf Course to the South of Kill Avenue.

Removing the diversion would inconvenience those on the estates North of Monkstown Avenue but improve access to the South and make the service better for all other route users.

Is there any chance that sense will prevail and the journey time will be reduced by sending buses straight up Kill Avenue? Or will tradition be respected and the route left alone, regardless of new housing developments in the past 70 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bus routes very rarely get shorter - once an area has a bus route running through it the residents will fight tooth and nail to prevent it being rerouted to a more sensible route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Could they make a new route called 46F that would take the direct route, then gradually reduce services on the 46A and increase them on the new route?
    Sly, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

There's enough 46As that at peak times 2 out of 3 busses could go along Kill Avenue without seriously compromising the quality of service to Monkstown Farm. Off peak, the "diversion" doesn't add a huge amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

If I remember right, there was a plan to alter to routing back in the mid 90s, when the route was branded CitySwift, to be similar to the direct routing of the 75, but local residents complained and the routing remained.

This area has a lot of elderly residents and the service is used a lot by the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

MiniD wrote: »
    If I remember right, there was a plan to alter to routing back in the mid 90s, when the route was branded CitySwift, to be similar to the direct routing of the 75, but local residents complained and the routing remained.

This area has a lot of elderly residents and the service is used a lot by the locals.

Agreed - I think the point here is that a lot of the residents of "the farm" are elderly and in order to continue to serve them the 46A remains.

I'm sure that the DoT could add a variation to the route if it wanted to....but don't hold your breath!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

In 2005 when the triaxle (long) double-decks were about to be introduced, Dublin Bus applied to the DOT for permission to vary the route, such that every second bus would run direct, but for reasons unknown, this was refused. A similar rerouting for 746 was also refused.

Aquavid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I lived on Oliver Plunkett Rd for many years and my parents still do, though the both drive.

A couple of years back I heard a rumour of the road being made local access only and buses would have use of this road??
    To walk to the existing bus stop or one on the current 75 route there is only a difference to me of about 30 seconds. But for the elderly people there it the service was removed it would be a big blow to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

I wouldn't drive through Monkstown farm because the road is too narrow and residential. It doesn't look safe for a bus at all - let alone 12 buses an hour ffs.

I don't understand the argument that old people live in monkstown farm so the bus should wind its way past their front gardens. What about the old people who live along the wider direct route? The council should prevent through running of any vehicles through Monkstown farm. A little wall would do the trick.

If you had to drive a bus through monkstown farm, should it not follow the more direct route of the 4/4a?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

crocro wrote: »
    I wouldn't drive through Monkstown farm because the road is too narrow and residential. It doesn't look safe for a bus at all - let alone 12 buses an hour ffs.

I don't understand the argument that old people live in monkstown farm so the bus should wind its way past their front gardens. What about the old people who live along the wider direct route? The council should prevent through running of any vehicles through Monkstown farm. A little wall would do the trick.

If you had to drive a bus through monkstown farm, should it not follow the more direct route of the 4/4a?

Don't worry Crocro, one day you too will be old :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The same kind of thing is repeated on more than a hand full of routes across the city. Same goes for bus stops being located a few meters away from each other. Both have been covered here time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This "OAP" prerequisite whilst adhering to the "Serving All of the Community" jazz does little to recognize reality.
    The facts of the Monkstown Farm issue is that actual loadings along the Farm are minimal when placed alongside the total throughput of the route.
    Not for the first time is Dublin Bus hoist aloft on this nonsensical petard as it sends potentially lucrative services off into rabbit warrens of estates to pick up the "Old Folks" ......
    Interestingly enough,whenever a "Private " operator arrives along it`s services usually utilize the fastest,most direct routing and then recieve lavish praise for the speed,frequency and civic mindedness of their operations.....:o

Take for example,the Bus Priority Traffic Signal at the Stillorgan Park Hotel which was originally intended to allow Buses to have a free flow into Stillorgan Village ....
    Initially it functioned as designed with the outbound 46A being able to get to the right turn arrow before it went red.
    Fast Forward to a major traffic signal fault some time back and the subsequent repair.....Result ?.....No longer any synch between the Bus Priority signal and the Right Turn filter which means Buses are actually better off battling through on the middle lane.....Transport 21..."Spending Billions when €10.99 would by a diode to get better results " :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

HonalD wrote: »
    Don't worry Crocro, one day you too will be old :cool:
    When I'm old I must remember not to live in the housing estates along Kill Avenue that are not served by the 46A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Machiavelli:
    And it ought to be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, then to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new. This coolness arises partly from fear of the opponents, who have the laws on their side, and partly from the incredulity of men, who do not readily believe in new things until they have had a long experience of them. Thus it happens that whenever those who are hostile have the opportunity to attack they do it like partisans, whilst the others defend lukewarmly, in such wise that the prince is endangered along with them.

Advertisement