Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Books

Options
  • 03-07-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi I absolutely love books with a political slant, especally If they involve the american presidency. I'm talking about books like Kennedy by robert Daleck or balance of power by richard north patterson.

Can anyone Recommend any books they think I may enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

The best political books i've read are mainly biographys concerning big political figures

The Autobiography of Malcolm X - The most inspiring book i've ever read
    Companero - Che Guevara biography
    1984 - more political history than fiction
    Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee - read how America really became no.1

Mao - its supposed to be excellent but i haven't read it yet.

Hope these help. I know they're not exactly what your lookin for. Cant reccomend X enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Did you try any Gore Vidal books? i think he writes on that sort of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just finished Mao by Jung Chang [her of wild swans fame]

Its really a very very good book. Well worth a read. But I cant help but wonder about how it could be a bit biased? She clearly hates him from the start of the book and makes no effort to hide it and every single action from 1920 to his death paints him in a negative light. Every single bad thing is his fault, every good thing is someone else's doing.

While he was a mudering psyco, and no one disputes that, it does not sit well with me that its 100% bad all the time?

Others to read:
    If you like American stuff, 'Peoples history of United States' - History of USA from the POV of normal people, not just the leaders or the winners like most books. Brilliant..

Stalingrad and Berlin 1945 - really shows how brutal WW2 got, and how ****ed up Hitler and Stalin were..

and anything by Tim Pat Coogan for Irish Stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OK, if you are looking for fiction then try Brad Meltzers - the zero game - or The first counsel, same author - quite interesting thriller type books based around Capitol Hill and the White house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Two books I enjoyed about America politics.
    - "The Right Nation" by Micklethwait & Wooldridge, about the history & evolution of conservative politics in the US, and why it differs from Europe.

- "All Too Human" by George Stephanopoulus. A very well written account of the authors time serving in the first Clinton term as press secretary

• Advertisement
Advertisement