Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the perfect way to propose?

Options
  • 02-07-2006 5:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭

as extravagent as you want, costing as much as you want and in any setting you want, what would you consider the ideal way to make a marriage proposal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I don't think there is really and one "perfect" way. I personally believe the ideal way would be to choose your girlfriends (or boyfriends if you want to get all modern about it) ideal setting, preferably somewhere secluded. As nice as it can seem to pop the question in front of a crowd of strangers or friends and family it puts alot of pressure on a yes answer. People tend to have different opinions of just what is romantic, so I feel the proposal should be tailored to the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Im not a big fan of traveling to yon "romantic" desctinations ie Paris and Venice like 100 million others have done already. I thought it would be better to choose a spot important to her. So I popped the que in a place she was always fond of as a kid, somewhere she talked about often, top of a hill behind the family home with a great view of the surrounding county.
    It was nothing fancy, just waited for a sunny weekend, got the ring, brought her up and did the deed. (Then proposed lol!!1!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it all depends on the recipient really. My ideal proposal would be a half-time announcement at Anfield, but the missus would go funcking mad if I did something like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

To me...and im not engaged (yet :) ) it would be the thought that goes into it...doesnt matter if it didnt cost a penny - although the ring should cost a pretty penny :D - anyway, if say he/she was a fanatic say liverpool supporter, try and organise to propose over the loudspeaker at a match, same goes for favourite band, u know something like that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I can just tell you how I proposed - it has gone down well. Then again what's perfect for one person, won't be for another....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

as extravagent as you want, costing as much as you want and in any setting you want, what would you consider the ideal way to make a marriage proposal?

I dunno...but I'm pretty happy with how I proposed :)

Alone in a Swiss chalet in the alps, standing on the back porch, watching the first snow of winter fall across the valley, listening to the silence.

jc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As tbh said, it all depends on the person. Paris and such is usually a hit but if you want it to be a surprise then maybe suggesting a trip to Paris may leave the cat out of the bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Get the weather man from TV3 to ask for you during one of his many shout-outs.

Or just text her.

(Yes ladies, I'm available ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Somewhere of significance to both people. Like where you first met or had your first kiss, or go back to the place where you had your first holiday/weekend away together.

That's what I'd love. I wouldn't care if it didn't cost anything, once the question is being asked by the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

beside the sea. sunsets are good too :). the zoo would be funky too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭YeAh!

Here are 13 unique ways to propose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

I brought my missus away to Budapest to propose! It wa a great idea! She hadnt a clue and thought it was just a romantic weekend away. With all the castles and scenary there it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

My mates fiancee propsed to her on the finish line of her first marathon. She was sweaty, red, felt exhausted but he just said he was so proud of her determintation in doing the race that he had to ask her to spend the rest of her life with him. Off all my engaged and married friends, she's the one witht eh biggest smile on her face when she retells the story. Like several people said above. It all depends on what's important and special for both of you. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 withneill

Im hoping she wont read this cos I am going to do it and its supposed to be a surprise. Firstly , I thought about something she said along time ago, when she was joking and I had just maxed my credit card on something typically male and stupid- a truck- then I know its got to be a surprise, no point taking this girl to Paris,she would be rubbing her finger in haste on the plane. Also, like all good surprises there must be mystery.
    Anyway, what she said, oh and she was joking- she said "you will probably get me some ring you won in one of those machines where you put in fifty cents and you win a prize"
    So I have planned a trip to Italy, we love Italy and go there regularly so I hope she wont smell a rat. Then, with the help of a couple locals, Im having one of those machines placed on the beach, half buried in the sand, and you guessed it, there will be one prize in it.
    Well the rest of the evening Ill try to cash in on my brownie points and dazzle her with spoiling.
    She said it two years ago so Im hoping she will have forgotten but know she will recall when she opens the funny plastic thingy -and yep Im paying the locals to keep an eye on it!
    One more tip-at Christmas and birthdays always get her to guess what you got her-make a note of it and you got next years taken care of,that way you only got to worry about one year-the first!
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

YeAh! wrote:
    Here are 13 unique ways to propose

Unique? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

in the pub....!

I should explain though, it was quiet enough just the two of us around, we'd just had a lovely meal in a nice Italian restaurant across the road, and it was a minute past midnight - on Feb 14th... the next day was Saturday so yeah, we went engagement ring shopping on Valentine's Day :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

force her.
    go like, abseiling or bungee jumping.
    Bring a knife.
    Ask her to marry you or you will cut the rope.

record her answer on a tape recorder and use it as a legally binding agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    force her.
    go like, abseiling or bungee jumping.
    Bring a knife.
    Ask her to marry you or you will cut the rope.

record her answer on a tape recorder and use it as a legally binding agreement.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode comes to mind.:eek:Hilarys partner wanted to propose while bungee jumping and recording it, I think you can guess what happened from there and it wasn't pretty. ;)

Sunsets or the beach for me are purdy cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"Would you like to be buried with my people"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Hey baby! It's time to $hit or get off the pot!

*pull out ring*

• Advertisement
Advertisement