Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Traffic Control

Options
  • 02-07-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

This may turn me into a super nerd but over the last few days I've been listening to a live feed from www.liveatc.net which gives live coverage of atc towers all around the world.

I never understood why so many people sat on that side road near Dublin airport listening to scanners but its actually really really interesting!!

Does anyone know if theres an active live feed from the Dublin or Cork airport towers??

Is there a club in Ireland for this sort of stuff?

Edit - Fixed Link.. Sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm getting a domain park for that link - can you check - I mean the liveatc.com one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yes, there is of course live feeds on liveatc, there's a Cork one, Shannon, and Dublin, reffered to by ICAO Airport Identifiers, eg : Shannon EINN, Cork EICK. Lots of PPL Students listen in. Cork one is always up and down though. I use it to listen to RT for circuit practise. It's improved my RT during the circuit no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Is that site down?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ned78 wrote:
    Yes, there is of course live feeds on liveatc, there's a Cork one, Shannon, and Dublin, reffered to by ICAO Airport Identifiers, eg : Shannon EINN, Cork EICK. Lots of PPL Students listen in. Cork one is always up and down though. I use it to listen to RT for circuit practise. It's improved my RT during the circuit no end.

Are you a pilot Ned? Im only getting familiar with the whole ATC setup now. When I get my studying sorted Im going to try get into flying helicopters in my spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Trotter wrote:
    When I get my studying sorted Im going to try get into flying helicopters in my spare time.

You must be stinking bloody rich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Trotter wrote:
    Are you a pilot Ned? Im only getting familiar with the whole ATC setup now. When I get my studying sorted Im going to try get into flying helicopters in my spare time.

Student pilot, I'm doing my PPL Theory exams this Friday, busy studying now. It's hard to manage the PPL, my band, and the day job too, but I wouldn't trade flying for another hobby.

Check out flyinginireland.com for some good Aviation advice in Ireland, there's a Chopper Pilots section on the forum there too!

Sarsfield wrote:
    You must be stinking bloody rich :D

Dont drink.. dont smoke.. (Theres 100 quid a week) .. and not stinking rich at allllll

Teachers money isnt the highest in the world but I'd rather spend it on helicopter lessons than bevvies and smokes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Had the joy of getting a tour of the whole ATC setup in DUB one quiet evening last year. Very interesting to see how everything works. Every flight out of DUB is given clearance to take off to a certain height and then transferred to Manchester, Glasgow or Shannon. Inbound is a lot more interesting, trying to mix Jets, Turboprops and private small aircraft. The set up was all so new and there were a lot of grumbles about the new computer technology being harder to use than the old screens.
    As an aside if anyone has ever flown United in the states, they have an inflight channel dedicated to whats going on between the cockpit and the Air Traffic for the whole flight, I have to say it really is entertaining :D

• Advertisement

The live Dublin ATC feed is active on liveatc.net now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Great find!

I spent ages listening to JFK and LAX feeds on Sunday night! Very interesting how JFK seemed to be very matter-of-fact, but LAX were chatty with the pilots.

Will check out the Dublin feed tonight.

@markf909, I'd say it's interesting at takeoff, approach and landing, but couldn't imagine much going on while you're over the Atlantic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

mikdedragon,

The chatter from the some of the towers in the States is great, a few years ago the pilot of my United flight from ORD to SFO kept asking for updates on the Lakers Bulls game :D

Dublin ATC only handles a very limited but extremely busy corridor ( well two parallel corridors actually) from across the Irish sea to North Wales. Manchester is then responsible after that. AFAIK either Shannon or Prestwick control the Atlantic flights.

Dublin is far easier to listen to than some of the others. They seem to speak slower.

I laughed this morning, the NY flight arrived and was told to wait for directions to its gate.. basically it hadnt been allocated one yet.

The captain comes on and says... "*sigh*...... I new I was early". Its a bit like the feeling you get when theres a massive queue into the carpark lol.. Im glad to see the pilots have the same problem.

At least they dont have to lean out the window to get a ticket from the machine lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody have a link to Shannon ATC...?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Good link, Dublin is now no.3 in the list, nearly all boardsies I reckon

Did anybody just hear that woman pilot forgetting were the flight was heading...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I'm listening into the Dublin feed right, It's pretty interesting. :cool:

If you open these pages you can ctrl-f the flight numbers and see whats coming and going.

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals.asp
    http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures.asp

Plenty of early morning Aer Lingus trans atlantic flights this morning. You know they're talking to an aer lingus pilot when they mention shamrock and then a callsign.

Christ did anyone just hear them saying something about a bomb scare in the terminal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Trotter wrote:
    Christ did anyone just hear them saying something about a bomb scare in the terminal?

Indeed, everything has to hold thier stands indefinetly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Didn't hear it, but listening now -- my parents rang me about 10mins ago cos they were just checking in when they were all evacuated :eek:

Are they not talking about it anymore?

fcuk...just when I turn it off for a min something happens.

They're just telling incoming flights that they'll all be parking and not letting people off.

88 listeners on the Dublin stream now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ATC is very intesting to listne to I was listenting to Toronto CYYZ and Newark KEWR yesterday and they were wishing the pilots happy independance day. Newark is busey than jfk so its worth a listen.

I was luckey enough to fly in the cockpit of a 777 from Dublin to Oslo and its ever more interting when you see them in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

This must be the best thread ever on boards!!! Excellent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,336 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was actually on EI 163 from Heathrow yesterday. They woke me (it was difficult, I had started in SFO :D) to tell me to put my seat in the upright and locked position. Then we land and are told of a "security scare". We were allowed use mobiles and someone phoned his office to get someone to check www.rte.ie I then went back to sleep.

Of course if someone really has a 'backpack' of 'semtex' I suspect we would have been on the other side of the airport, not parked at pier B.

I hope to have my luggage delivered tomorrow. For some reason only carousel 1-3 were being used and the crowding got dangerous, so after checking with security, I left.

Victor wrote:
    Of course if someone really has a 'backpack' of 'semtex' I suspect we would have been on the other side of the airport, not parked at pier B.

I would like to think so but in this country you just never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Just how many helicopter movements are there controlled by Dublin ATC daily?

Listening in there and a helicopter just took off there heading to wicklow to 'pick up the kids'. Well I never. Obviously 4*4s aren't the mode of choice anymore.

Advertisement