Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question to Ponder...

Options
  • 02-07-2006 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

I adore horror stories. That is what I read mostly. I love James Patterson, Stephen King, Dean Koontz.

However, when I write, I find that the stories end up being trashy love novels with lots of steamy intimacy in them. Sometimes so trashy that even I blush!

And the thing is, I HATE reading romance novels!!!!! I find them boring and repetitive!

Does anyone else find themselves in this position? Where your reading interests and writing interests are total opposites?????

L4L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

There's only so much poetry I can stand
    I think the peotry needs to focus on a subject
    too often it becomes concerned with itself
    or you and me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'm not been in that position, but I can understand what you mean by it.
    ...with lots of steamy intimacy in them.

Is that really such a bad thing? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by Odaise Gaelach :

Quote:
    ...with lots of steamy intimacy in them.

Is that really such a bad thing?

Well, it certainly does help improve my writing skills!
    As I'm typing, I think "can I really describe such a scene? What they are doing, what they are feeling? Can I get that detailed?"
    It's a challenge! And I think I'm succeeding!
    I'll have to try to get published. I'm sure there is a customer base out there for randy smut books!

L4L

Lust4Life wrote:
    Well, it certainly does help improve my writing skills!
    As I'm typing, I think "can I really describe such a scene? What they are doing, what they are feeling? Can I get that detailed?"
    It's a challenge! And I think I'm succeeding!

I've never really tried to write a smutty story before. But I should give it a shot - it sounds like a fun challenge! ;)
    Lust4Life wrote:
    I'll have to try to get published. I'm sure there is a customer base out there for randy smut books!

Smutty books will never die out! :)

originally posted by OOdaise Gaelac

I've never really tried to write a smutty story before. But I should give it a shot - it sounds like a fun challenge!

Yes! Give it a try! Maybe together we can change the direction of romance novels! It's far more fun than watching Tv!!!

And there's a lot of thinking involved. What did the "he" character do to the "She" character that no other man has before and why did it effect her like it did, and so forth.

And I believe you're right. There will always be room for smut!!!:D

L4L

• Advertisement

Lust4Life wrote:
    And there's a lot of thinking involved. What did the "he" character do to the "She" character that no other man has before and why did it effect her like it did, and so forth.

Basically, all that I'd need to do my research would be a copy of the Karma Sutra?

Seriously, I understand what you're getting at about what he did to her and having to imagine it. That's why it sounds like such an interesting challenge. :D

Maybe Lust4Life, you should post some of your stories up on the Boards. If you're worried about the content then you can PM a moderator to look over your story and decide if it's suitable. Give it a shot! :)

Originally posted by Odaise Gaelach:
    Maybe Lust4Life, you should post some of your stories up on the Boards. If you're worried about the content then you can PM a moderator to look over your story and decide if it's suitable. Give it a shot!

Perhaps I will. I'll have to go through them. Most are rather lengthy, though.

L4L

• Registered Users Posts: 13 infinita

I face the similar problem that I dislike reading the stream of consciousness and yet I like applying it to my own writings. I tried to avoid it but seldom succeeded.

Posted by infinita
    I face the similar problem that I dislike reading the stream of consciousness and yet I like applying it to my own writings. I tried to avoid it but seldom succeeded.

Strange, isn't it? But if you are developing your own style while doing it, maybe you can be the forerunner of a new generation to that genre.

Thinking about posting a short story here, but I don't think it would quite meld in this forum. Everyone seems to be so serious and poetic minded.
    I like action, humor and sex in my stories. Some may find them offensive.
    Under Agers would blush.
    Maybe I ought not.

L4L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Ask Beat if they're ok to post up here. I doubt all the people who read in here actually post their comments. Maybe some people would like it! Put a warning in your thread title if needs be! :)

• Advertisement

Lust4Life wrote:
    Thinking about posting a short story here, but I don't think it would quite meld in this forum. Everyone seems to be so serious and poetic minded.
    Under Agers would blush.
    Maybe I ought not.

When I posted up The Church, I was worried because it was particularly violent. Beat advised me that I should save the document as a word document or a text document, and then attach it to a post. And in the post I'd put a warning about the contents. So, if you decide to open the attachment, you know what to expect. :)

Although if it is sexual, then you probably should ask a moderator about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LUNA..

Lust4Life wrote:
    Strange, isn't it? But if you are developing your own style while doing it, maybe you can be the forerunner of a new generation to that genre.

Under Agers would blush.
    Maybe I ought not.

L4L
    I've posted a poem up here that seems pretty depressing but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to read one of your "fun, action packed sexy short stories". Why not go for it and post one up??
    "Nothing ventured nothing gained" as they say on the moon!!:p

Advertisement