Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Vince Clarke would still be in Depeche Mode ...

Options
  • 30-06-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

... would they be as big as they are today?

If Vince Clarke would still be in DM would they be as big as they are today? 3 votes

Yes, they would be
    0% 0 votes
    No way
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I voted YES. I know that Erasure didn´t sell 50 million copies like DM but just imagine all the Assembly, Erasure and Yazoo songs would have been performed by Depeche Mode.

I guess eventually Martin Gore would have been able to come in as a songwriter at some stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Well...I voted no...but in hindsight...

I don't like the music he made post DM...but damn, back in the day he had an impeccable hairdo <3

I can't stand Erasure, but admittedly it was popular so to speak. From what I heard VC left DM because he didn't like the direction they were going in...if he had stayed would they have remained with the type of mood they had on S&S? Well on the one hand you can say that as a general rule, people like light pop music stuff, and it will do better in the charts, but on the other hand, 'fluff' like that doesn't seem to have quite the same longevity...would they have had the fame now, if they weren't picked up on in America as almost a 'gothic' type group? I really don't know :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say they would be as big, but I personally think Vince Clarke-era Mode sucks big time (apart from New Life - smashing song). They continued to suck really until around 1986. Some of Black Celebration is good, Music for the Masses is better and obviously Violator is their zenith. My favourite Vince Clarke project is Yazoo. They were brilliant. Erasure had some awful stuff but some superb stuff as well. Chorus and Sometimes are excellent pop toons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Since my last post was rather non-commital, I'll say this, I definately think DM with Vince would be worse than what it is without..

Advertisement