Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wally needs laptop help

Options
  • 30-06-2006 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I'm looking into getting a laptop, it will mainly be for college so used to write essays and browse the internet (wi-fi) mostly. Would like a decent bit of memory cos i'd like to keep photos on it.
    Also need relatively large screen (at least 15") cos i have gammy eyesight and I'll be bringing it to and from college on the bus so not too heavy.

I'm not really bothered if it has a burner and I won't be gaming etc.

Can spend about €1,000-€1,200. I've been looking at dells like so: Inspiron 6400
    The wi-fi thing on that is okay? I don't really get the wi-fi thing, we have it at home and college so i'll be using that all the time.
    I don't really know much about these kinda things and i guess thats why i'm sticking with names i know. :o

Any ideas/advice?
    Thank you!
    Karen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

To be honest I'd find the 6400 a bit bulky to be dragging around on the bus. Even the 640m would be rather better - it only comes with a 14.1 inch screen but that's not that much smaller and cough up the 36 euros extra for the true-life screen there and you'll see the benefit.

Acer make some nice light(ish) laptops with large screens that seem less bulky than the 6400. I'm not saying stay away, it's a nice machine (and yes, the wifi works perfectly well) but if I was carrying it around on a bus I'd want something slightly more portable.

(now, you have to keep in mind that this was written from the perspective of me, who's just waiting for a nice machine that weighs almost nothing, is ultra-portable and reasonably fast so your needs are certainly different but I'd still go for the smaller machine above if i were you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PC World have a deadly tiny Philips laptop for 999. The screen is only 12" but this thing is as portable as a sandwich, its literally half the size of my vaio!! :eek:

Might be good for college, very light and again, VERY tiny.

PS - if you won't be burning DVD's or playing games, why not choose a dell 1300 and upgrade it online? You'll easily get a 1300, with a nice 15.4" widescreen plus a reassuring 3 years warranty within your budget. No point going for a 6400 - it'll be wasted on web browsing and typing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Lots of stuff to think about there.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HavoK wrote:
    PS - if you won't be burning DVD's or playing games, why not choose a dell 1300 and upgrade it online? You'll easily get a 1300, with a nice 15.4" widescreen plus a reassuring 3 years warranty within your budget. No point going for a 6400 - it'll be wasted on web browsing and typing. ;)

I agree with what Havok is saying.

A 1300 with extra memory (RAM) and hard-drive (for your pictures), bigger screen and extra capacity batter will give you what you need at a helluva lot less than 1200 :) Oh, and don't forget built in wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cochise

toshiba tecra l20 from soundstore - €700 i think, 1.4ghz, 512mb ram, 60gb hd, dvd+-rw, 14.1 screen

• Advertisement
Advertisement