Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XXXX Heating - avoid

Options
  • 30-06-2006 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

We got a heating system installed in my parents house by these guys.

Stay away from them - they undersize the rads, the pipes rattle as you walk on the floor, the burner makes so much noise you cant sleep with the heating on, the TRV's they fitted are all broken, even though they are redundant due to undersized rads. Call them up and they dont want to know.

Bord Gais are worse to have them on the recommended list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Sorry about this, but have had to edit out the name in your post. As you only have a few posts to your name.

I know this makes your post a bit irrelevant, but we can't open boards.ie to legal action.

Do you have any proof that they installed the heating and messed it up? If so, then we can re imput the name.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

we have a similar problem with our gas heating system, the TRV's are on the wrong side of the rads and make a loud sound when they close. people should be taking more care with this stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

Is there any way that this obviously negligent work can be made the subject of a complaint to Bord Gais ?

Incidentally, is it true that there is a list of installers who are Bord Gais approved and Bord Gais authorised respectively ?

I thought I heard an item on this a year ago on radio. Some guy got a system installed by Company X. However, they were either not approved or authorised - I cannot remember which - so Bord Gais charged the consumer for calling out to inspect the installation before allowing it to be connected to their network. If they had been another type of installer the charge might not have arisen !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

daveirl wrote:

I have yet so see this question answered...why dont you humor us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yook wrote:
    I have yet so see this question answered...why dont you humor us.

Good point actually - nothing worse than a lack of consistency. I have to laugh at some of the paranoia surrounding these "Legal" issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

daveirl wrote:

Indeed, with quality Irish TV such as Glenroe, Ballykissangel, Fair City & ros Na Run whoy do you need to resort to downloading American shows. I'll stand on the fence on this one I can appreciate the mod's concern's although surely it says somewhere that "all view expressed on Boards.ie are the opinions of individuals and not of Boards.ie itself" or somethign along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daveirl wrote:
    Because Carphone Whorehouse and Dull Computers have the ability to stand up for themselves, it can be a bit harder for Joe Bloggs to counter snide accusations by using slick marketing people.
    goslie wrote:
    the TRV's they fitted are all broken
    How many ordinary people refer to Thermostatic Radiator Valves as TRVs? Is there a chance that the OP is a rival of XXXX Heating? Does the OP state how he gone on when he made a complaint to the company or to Bord Gais?

All point to a lack of balance.

• Advertisement

Thanks victor, you made my point better than me!

Unfortunately its a bit of an unsteady balancing act between free speech and avoiding slanderous comments.

I can imagine a situation where a rival company could post negative comments about a competitor in the hope of doing them out of future business.

I don't necessarily think that is the situation in this case. But, the best way of preventing this is to ask for proof that the event being described actually happened from posters with fewer than (say) 50-100 posts.

There is enough general opinions about Carphone Warehouse and Dell to allow a free-for-all about them.

daveirl wrote:

As i said, there is no fixed rule.

But, everyone has opinions on Dell and Carphone Warehouse - thus allowing a free exchange of views. (and everyone knows how bad Dell customer service is!)

For this small heating company mentioned in the OP - who knows if it is an unfair comment that could do them out of business in the future?

That's why i asked the poster to provide some proof of this happening (i also PM'd him).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

the xxxx is the name deleted by the mod, if you want the company name just PM me. But a slightly cryptic clue would be 'Harrass the actor called Ed'

For this small heating company mentioned in the OP - who knows if it is an unfair comment that could do them out of business in the future?

That's why i asked the poster to provide some proof of this happening (i also PM'd him).

Roundtower2 - no PM received by you, what are you talking about? For proof of this, come around to my house and i'll show you 8 rads without TRV's in place.

I am not a plumber and do not own a heating company. if you look up my post in engineering section, you might get a clue as to what I do, hint engineer......though not a heating one!
    How many ordinary people refer to Thermostatic Radiator Valves as TRVs? Is there a chance that the OP is a rival of XXXX Heating? Does the OP state how he gone on when he made a complaint to the company or to Bord Gais?

This OP was originally trying to point out what to look out for if getting heating in, and anyone doing this would know what a TRV is. As above, i'm defo not a rival, heating is not a tight market, you would need to slander hundreds of contractors to make a gain. Company gave a very negative response and we didn't take it up with Bord Gais - probably should have though.

Hi goslie,

I've been thinking about this and i'm going to do a full u-turn.

Please feel free to add the name of the company back in (i forget what the name was).

Your post above sounds fully genuine, and i take your point that your OP was just intended to give honest consumer advice to other users of the forum.

Apologies for this reasonably turbulent beginning to your life on boards.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

cowboys name is Harris Heating in Fairview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I've had a very similar experience with another installer, also approved by Bord Gais.
    The installation is a total turkey, and they are walking away from it.
    Given that it endorses them, does Bord Gais have a role in rectifying matters, and is it liable if it doesn't act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

After a few bad dealings with cowboy heating men, decided to get Bord Gais to repair my glow worm boiler. Then they proceeded to completely rip me off they put in a new part (PCB Board) and charge €190 app for it. Boiler was broke again that same day. Eventually got them back out to remove the new part, The manager of the service team this time. He removed and bled a couple of rads and it was fine. I spent about 22 hours on the phone to Bord Gais "customer service" just getting all of this done and getting my money back for the part!! So moral of the story I think it is no great thing to be on a recommended list from the biggest cowboys in the industry ;)

Getting all stressed now just thinking about it all again :mad:

Still no word in over a year from the 3 separate complaints I lodged aagghh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

There is only one listing for installers with regards to bord gais.

The Registered Gas Installer (RGI) listing atm is maintained by bord gais, its being run independantly from next year on.

To get on this list an installer has to supply proof of their GID/GIC (G1, G2, G3) and their inurance details.

However Bord Gais Energy supply have their own installers, it gets quite confusing when theres 2 bord gais companies with similar interests.

Bord gais are obligated to inspect 12-15% of all RGI work, non RGI are 100%.

If you complain to bord gais, they will step the inspection rate, if they continue to get complaints then they get removed from the RGI list. Doesnt really help you though.

Your best course of action is to get in contact with a rival company, have them assess the installation and give you detailed notes and costs of all the work. you will of course have to pay them for this but take the cost and then bring the original heating company to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

jaggeh wrote:

If you complain to bord gais, they will step the inspection rate, if they continue to get complaints then they get removed from the RGI list. Doesnt really help you though.

Your best course of action is to get in contact with a rival company, have them assess the installation and give you detailed notes and costs of all the work. you will of course have to pay them for this but take the cost and then bring the original heating company to court.

Yep agree with that.. i wrote to the chairman of bord gais directly and got it sorted.
    AND i got an independent company in to check what the problem was and that it was the original installers fault.
    The independent company actually poned the installer and told him opf his obligations..the guy was out within two days to rectify it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Sounds like good advice.
    Can you Pm me the name of the 'good' guys? I'm definitely not going to lie down on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

gimme a call 1850 200 694 (bord gais networks) ask for matt, i can go through a list of installers with you. although harris is listed as one of the authorised ones and i do speak to them regularly i cant really tell you who is the best or worst. i can just give you the numbers of all of the authorised installers in your area.

Advertisement