Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Shaving

Options
  • 30-06-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here uses a straight razor.

Im thinking of switching as I love smooth close feeling of a wet-blade shave but two problems. Firstly I have excema so sensitive and dry skin (shaving is a massive assualt on my skin and I have to use tons of aftershave balm and a moisturiser) and secondly I have hard stubble. So these have the effect of:

When I shave I can only use a blade maybe 3/4 times before I start to get razor burn (unless I let my stubble grow long enough to let it become more supple but that takes 3 days). New blades for the Mac 3 are costing a fortune for the sake of a clean shave.

If I shave with only a days growth I get sever razor burn and no matter what shaving gel or aftershave balm or any products I use has no affect on this.

Shaving lightly to avoid/minimise razor burn only leaves my face burning with an itchy feeling and also feels stubbly (just no looking it).

I was wondering if anyone who has a straight razor would recommend switching to one as it may help with the above. My thinking is that with a straight razor I would be guaranteed a sharp razor every time and it would minimize if not eliminate razor burn.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Facial hair, cant live with it, cant live without it, unless your Wacko Jacko.
    I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to shaving, now at most once a week, Mach 3, I can use then till theres a round edge on the blade, then maybe im just a hard lazy bastard, suppose it be different if ur with someone who likes a nice clean Dirk Benedict, but thats just me waffling on,

ever think about letting it grow, I know I have.

http://www.geocities.com/matt_nyc/ateam/Images/Face/face_promo_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

get some shaving gel called King of shaves.

they have one in a green tube that's made especially for sensitive skin, i use it and it's great before using it i use to turn out like a strawberry when i shaved now i don't get a single spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

have you tried shaving oil?
    worth a shot maybe....
    ye that king o shaves is good....havent seen their stuff in the shops but you can order from their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

Just a thought PDD but if you have a shower or a bath and then shave straight away afterwards your skin should be soft and a lot easier to shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Straight razors are expensive, require maintenance (stropping before and after, and regular sharpening) and you have to learn the technique to using them without killing yourself... :eek:

To be honest most of the time people who reef themselves shaving arent shaving correctly... Look for some articles on proper shaving. I would agree with whats mentioned in this article. And shave with the direction of the hair, not against, for less irritation.

And if you are looking to reduce the expense of shaving, buy an old style "Safety Razor" which uses the traditional replacable razor blade (which are dirt cheap). They are just as close shaving as the mach 3's etc. just dont apply as much pressure when shaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Cremo wrote:
    get some shaving gel called King of shaves.

they have one in a green tube that's made especially for sensitive skin, i use it and it's great before using it i use to turn out like a strawberry when i shaved now i don't get a single spot.
    I use King of Shaves myself, it's good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have the same problems, and when not travelling with work, I only shave twice a week now. However, when I travel, I've to shave every day. Some things make it easier:

I always shave straight after a shower, and make sure to scrub my face in the shower itself. Where possible, I'd shave in the shower, but this isn't always pratical.

I use king of shaves (an excellent product) AND shaving foam, with M3 Blades.

Very, very short strokes, always in the direction of the hair growth

Clean the blade every three strokes (very very short strokes ;))

stretch the skin you are shaving as much as you can

once done, empty the sink, and fill with cold water. clean face with cold water, pat dry with towel. then apply balm etc.

you've probably tried most of that already, but you never know, it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

MonkMuffet wrote:
    ye that king o shaves is good....havent seen their stuff in the shops but you can order from their website

you can get it in any boots store i think (got mine in dundrum)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I used a straight blade before. My girlfriend at the time bought me one for christmas. They require proper skill to use effectively. I just couldn't get a decent shave out of the bastard.

I suggest you check out the article on shaving on the straightdope.com (it's excellent). Most important thing for you to do is to properly soak your facial hair in hot water beforehand (showering works best), and to leave the foam in place for at least a minute before starting, then always shave downwards.

I find the issey miyake after shave balm to be f*cking ULTIMATE. Seriously good stuff.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

if you have any sort of skin irritation, stick to a quality Braun electric shaver - one of the new wet or dry models that can be used with oil/balm is ideal. OK, it doesn't go quite as close, but 5 o'clock shadow is a lot less hassle than razor burn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I always shave after I get out of the shower.

After a shower the hot water opens your pours so the hairs are more above the skin than they are when the pours are closed. So you can get the best shave.

I use King Of Shave oil (you can buy it down it tescos for about €5, it comes in a tiny little bottle). Dab your face in hot water and leave for a minute, put about 5 drops of the oil into your hands and dab it onto your face. Leave it for about a minute and then dab your face with hot water and leave for another 30 seconds. Then start shaving. Make sure and keep the blade wet at all times to minimize cutting your skin.

I swear by that shaving oil now, I used to always cut myself with the foam, but since changing over I rarely cut myself now. I also find that I don't go through blades half as fast as well.

Also use a good after shave balm, especially as you suffer from eczema/dry skin, to keep your skin as moist as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MonkMuffet wrote:
    have you tried shaving oil?
    worth a shot maybe....

yeah shaving oil is the way to go. Remember that annoying ad on TV with the ould fella about some shaving oil made in Ireland (Mayo I think), sayin he'd give ya your money back if ya werent satisfied bla bla bla....

anyhow thats good stuff...in a small seethrough bottle with blue lid. Hair falls off, and ya can see what your doin. good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have similar problems shaving. I find Clinique's Aloe Vera shaving gel the best along with the new mach 3 vibrating razor! Have a warm shower and this makes the skin nice and soft and then apply the cream and shave. Works good for me. And the Clinique after shave balm is great plus these products are also fragarance free so that you are not walking around smelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JuiceC

I was in the same boat and then i found an irish website [4Men.ie] with very straightforward shaving advice and great products (some made especially for sensitive skin - give this a try.

Wash your face in warm water with men-u healthy face wash to open your pores and soften your beard.
    Rub a few drops of shave oil onto your wet face to keep the hairs upright, for a closer shave. Wait a few seconds and wet the face again.
    Massage a small amount of proraso shave cream onto your face with a shaving brush or wet fingertips.
    Shave with the grain, rinsing the razor blade frequently in warm water. Use short strokes starting with the side burns, cheek and neck. Finish with the chin and upper lip, as the hair is thicker here. Repace your blade every 3/4 shaves because the blades get too blunt.
    Rinse your face with maxwell's apthecary face toner to close the pores and freshen your face. Use a towel to pat your face dry.
    Apply vitaman after-shave balm to any sore or irritated areas and finish off with proraso eucalyptus cream to protect the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭hairypigeon

i always shave when i get out of the shower but i use a good quality conditioner on my beard first it softens the hairs really well and then some eucalyptus oil and shaving gel and use the fusion razor it's brilliant it doesnt get blunt as fast at all. I gotta shave every day red beard brown hair i look wierd if i let it grow!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My boyfriend has extremely sensitive skin but has found that using the Lush product Prince has really improved his skin after using it. It's a stubble softener and it is full of natural products like Witchazel that help the skin to heal after shaving.

You can use it as a shaving cream and as the shaving balm/moisturiser afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Trilla wrote:
    yeah shaving oil is the way to go. Remember that annoying ad on TV with the ould fella about some shaving oil made in Ireland (Mayo I think), sayin he'd give ya your money back if ya werent satisfied bla bla bla....

anyhow thats good stuff...in a small seethrough bottle with blue lid. Hair falls off, and ya can see what your doin. good stuff
    Ultimate Shaving Solution?
    T'was good stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

There was a bloke on Gerry Ryan this week (one of the most useful slots on his show in a long time, imho) plugging his new book "Sharp Practice". It's £6 STG on Amazon; should be no more than a tenner here I'd say, I might check it out (or make strong hints to the missus to pick it up as a stocking filler!).

I believe it goes into all sorts of techniques, depending on what type of kit you use for shaving. The author (Lance someone-or-other) personally uses a straight blade (and yes, he emphasised the need for a strop (and a steady hand!)).

I use a Mach3 and "Total Shaving Solution" (the one with the blue top mentioned above) and it works ok. I still get some irration on my top lip (flares up as red as a baboon's arse) no matter what I use :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PDD wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    Firstly I have excema so sensitive and dry skin (shaving is a massive assualt on my skin and I have to use tons of aftershave balm and a moisturiser) and secondly I have hard stubble.
    I'm not sure what effect switching blades will have, but you should invest in some Anti-Irritant shaving gel as well as some Soothing Shaving Balm.

The stuff from Elave can be bought in most chemists and is really good for sensitive skin or if you have skin conditions :)

It's probably the best stuff out there, and it's Irish as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

chamlis wrote:
    Ultimate Shaving Solution?
    T'was good stuff alright.

Total shaving solution ( not ultimate ) thats the business!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Also make sure you shave upwards along the bottom of your neck, the hairs reverse direction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

One of the best pieces of advice i ever got about shaving, and goes totally against what most people say is shave with cold water.

and before anyone comes back with what a load of horse crap....try it for a week before you rebut my claim.....go on, i dare ya ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Try using hot water and shave really slowly. Like one inch at a time with the blade. If you are in a hurry and try to do it quickly, you will surely get a razor burn. And Mach 3's are way too overrated. I have the same problem as you and the Mach 3's work the same number of times as the normal razors before they start to get blunt. They might give a slightly smoother shaving experience but the price doesn't justify that in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Steyr wrote:
    Total shaving solution ( not ultimate ) thats the business!!!!!:D

Yup each and every shave I use Total stuff. If I run out and can not find any in the normal spots I fall back on King of Shaves.

Shave in the Shower towards the end or straight away after the shower, plenty of piping hot water for cleaning you blade as you go is always a good thing to.

In terms of cutting costs on shaving gear always and I mean always look in boots, when 3 for 2 time comes around stock up on the bits you can. I dont think I've actually bought a blade or oil in about 6 months I stocked up so much the last time :p.

The best after shave balm I've found was by kenneth cole, but good luck to you finding that in Ireland. Once that runs out I use the L'oerial (sp) stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I must admit i use the Clinique Aloe Shave gel and find it very good, and i use their after shave healer, then aftershave balm.

Then i always shave after a hot hot shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet, that to me makes an absolutely *HUGE* difference:

Use a shaving brush to apply the foam/gel to your face. This to me is critical. All those ads you see on TV where the bloke is just rubbing the stuff in are dead wrong.

Get a proper shaving brush and scrub the gel in for a minute or so. Scrub hard and against the grain to exfoliate the skin and raise your beard up from the surface of your skin, it makes a huge difference it really does! For me to shave without using a brush first is to enter a world of pain. ;) If you have sensitive skin you really have to try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

-shower
    -King of Shaves Oil [apply]
    -Shaving gel (not foam) [apply over oil]
    -Shave down
    -re apply oil and gel [small bit]
    -Shave up against
    -moisturise after wash

i do one part at a time as if u were to apply oil and gel to all of your face, it will dry by the time u finish one part.
    ALSO do it slow.

i dont get razor burns, i just cut myself to bits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

My boyfriend has extremely sensitive skin but has found that using the Lush product Prince has really improved his skin after using it.
    This is true. It was a good prezzie. Thanks dear.

I do find that a proper old-fashioned straight razor gives a very good shave, but I haven't used one myself - just had a barber do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I shower, then wash my face again with a facewash, then apply the green King of Shaves gel (find gel easier), wait a few seconds and begin shaving. I think it's best to start with the places you don't get irritation/cut yourself and leave them to the end. Wash the blade regularly. Wash your face with cold water afterwards and then apply a Clinique moisturiser (the one with the covered cap, really good stuff). Used to get really bad irritated skin on my neck, not anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

oleras wrote:
    One of the best pieces of advice i ever got about shaving, and goes totally against what most people say is shave with cold water.

and before anyone comes back with what a load of horse crap....try it for a week before you rebut my claim.....go on, i dare ya ! :D

been doing that for years, read it in a mag once. normally scrub the face in the shower using really hot water to soften the hairs up.

then use cold water to rinse teh blade. Hot water can distort the blade of the razor causing it to nick a lot. not only did i get a better shave but found that instead of changing blades every 2-3 days I was able to use it for over a week.

tried that king of shaves stuff and cut the face off myself first but again was using hot water. may try it again

Advertisement