Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite Genre

Options
  • 30-06-2006 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So do you have a favourite genre and if so what is it?

At the moment, mine is crime/thriller, Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, Lee Child, Brad Meltzer, Michael Connelly, John Connolly, GM Ford...etc.

I love some fantasy such as LOTR, The Belgariad, The Mallorean and Terry Pratchett but a lot of fantasy I don't like, so I guess it can't be my favourite.

Horror, I've only read Stephen King really and even at that I liked his earlier works far better than recent stuff.

I like individual general "Fiction" books but as that's not really a genre as such, I guess it doesn't count.

Can't stand most sci-fi (although I love sci-fi TV shows, Star trek, etc.) but loved the Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy series.

Any views?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fantasy is my favourite by far. I also like sci-fi and factual books(science etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm not that into genres but if I had to pick one, sci-fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PeterM

Mine are historical-based adventures. I've hit a mental block as to an author's name but I'll go and check in a wee minute and post back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

sci fi sci fi sci fi sci fi
    followed by popular science, and the odd bit of crime and random mainstream fiction stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sci-fi...
    Seems to be a lot of nerds here too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Quiet sci-fi nerd, I'm a hip fantasy geek!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I think having read the 100 years of solitude thread - Magic Realism! And anything post apolyptic. I surprised myself the other day when I read The Stand by Steven King. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but loved it. Not great on romance to be honest. I wonder what genre books such as We need to talk about Kevin by Shriver and I know this much is true by Lambe would be under as these are the kind of books I really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Deer wrote:
    I think having read the 100 years of solitude thread - Magic Realism! And anything post apolyptic. I surprised myself the other day when I read The Stand by Steven King. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but loved it. Not great on romance to be honest. I wonder what genre books such as We need to talk about Kevin by Shriver and I know this much is true by Lambe would be under as these are the kind of books I really like.

Yeah, this is what I meant by general fiction...I suppose it could be classed as contemporary fiction?

Yep, I loved The Stand, thought it was amazing!

Lots of sci-fi fans here *gulp* perhaps I'd better not slag off the genre or they will zap me with their laser guns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I on the other hand am not afraid of sci-fi nerds and there laser guns

Sci-Fi and romance are about the only 2 genres i cant get into

Advertisement