Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

writing a book; tips

Options
  • 30-06-2006 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

ok here's the deal. I started writing my first novel back in 6th year (2 years ago) but felt the need to stop as it was interfering with my study. However when the LC was over I couldn't get back into the zone. I tried continuing but felt it was more of a chore than hobby. recently I have got the fire for writing back, but cannot find the chapters I had written, so that was a bit of a spanner in the works. I really want to start afresh but can't find the time to do it, do you have any advise on how to get into the mood to write?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Marts wrote:
    ok here's the deal. I started writing my first novel back in 6th year (2 years ago) but felt the need to stop as it was interfering with my study. However when the LC was over I couldn't get back into the zone. I tried continuing but felt it was more of a chore than hobby. recently I have got the fire for writing back, but cannot find the chapters I had written, so that was a bit of a spanner in the works. I really want to start afresh but can't find the time to do it, do you have any advise on how to get into the mood to write?

Not that I am qualified for this question or anything, having only a flimsy M.A.D.(Music,arts & Drama fom DIT) award under my belt but I will venture a mild repost in your general direction nonetheless.

Presently I am struggling with various motifs for a novel I am indulging in and have been of late finding it most awkward to formulate, digest and divulge information. However one thing that is becoming clear in to me in this painful proscess is that the quality of my work cannot succeed under duress.

So to remedy I suggest cleaning up ones abode, getting comfortable with a glass of wine preferably a nice deep bordeaux, plot you story locations and characters and go at it like a man obsessed. Revision is the key to shaping ones text. A clear head and passion is the key to getting it finished.

Bon chane mon petit ami and may the wildflowers weep wondrous delights of calm for your quest.

The Master

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Find Stephen King's book "On Writing". It may inspire you.
    He recommends that you write every single day even if it is for an hour and even if it isn't worth someone reading. It keeps you in practice / in the zone.

L4L

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Lust4Life wrote:
    He recommends that you write every single day even if it is for an hour and even if it isn't worth someone reading. It keeps you in practice / in the zone.

L4L
    That book is my Bible! It has the most down-to-earth tips that you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Marts wrote:
    I tried continuing but felt it was more of a chore than hobby. recently I have got the fire for writing back, but cannot find the chapters I had written, so that was a bit of a spanner in the works. I really want to start afresh but can't find the time to do it, do you have any advise on how to get into the mood to write?

I'm no expert on this at all, but I think that the best thing that you can do is write a short story. Write and re-draft it until you're happy that you wrote a good story. Then you'll have finished something. You'll have that little bit of experience under your belt. And once you get that one story done, it'll make your next story a little bit easier to write. :)

Don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Originally posted by ME!:

L4L

I went camping this weekend and brought this book along (On Writing) with me to re-read once again. Wow! It has totally refueled my interest! I kept thinking about the story I've been working on at the moment and thinking "Crap! I'm out here in the wilderness with no computer! Long hand takes too long!!!!!"

Serious! It is worth buying. He is very honest about all the steps it takes to be a writer including what to do when you've fallen out of love with your current project!!! Very sound advice.

Hugs,

L4L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

hugs? no my name is Marts :D

jk. cool I'll look into the book so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Laplandman

Bon chane mon petit ami and may the wildflowers weep wondrous delights of calm for your quest.

what?:confused:

Seriously though, make sure your grasp of grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation etc is PERFECT . Please. You can do what you like with them, but please understand them. Proofreaders will always let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Laplandman wrote:
    Seriously though, make sure your grasp of grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation etc is PERFECT . Please. You can do what you like with them, but please understand them. Proofreaders will always let you down.

True. Bad grammar and syntax will do nothing except distract and confuse the reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

Personally when ever I want start writing, I always like to do it at night time, when everyones gone to bed. The house is then completely silent and nothing interferes once the ball starts rolling.

I always like to stay away from the internet/tv because it is one of my biggest distractions to break me out of the mood.

~ Idgeitman

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Lust4Life wrote:
    L4L

Nice one, thanks! Thinking of doing some writing myself so will have a look for this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I suggest taking on as many other commitments as you can. This usually gives me an uncontrollable creative drive.

However, translating this into action, considering all those commitments, is a bit more difficult. I'm afriad you're on your own there! :D Good luck

Advertisement