Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you pronounce Book

Options
  • 29-06-2006 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

People in Drogheda say boo-k but people nearly in Balbriggan say Buck? Which is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

rhyme with hook, not puke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Its Bukes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

NADA wrote:
    Which is right?
    What do you mean "right"? Are you striving to speak the received pronouncion? In that case it's /bʊk/, but really why on earth would you want to speak the received pronounciation all the time, even most Shakespearean productions don't bother with that any more.
    Otherwise it's whatever way book is pronounced in your accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Booooook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

pse don't call it "Boooook" Christ its "Buck"....Breaks me balls when I hear some dude on the radio calling it "beeeuwk".

Give us a break here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Cartwheel

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

book to rhyme with hook. any other way is just culchie :p

Cremo wrote:
    book to rhyme with hook. any other way is just culchie :p

Pfft, no self-respecting culchie would say byook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I always have and will pronounce it "buke". I have heard "buck" is the correct way but meh.*shrugs*

Ruu wrote:
    I always have and will pronounce it "buke". I have heard "buck" is the correct way but meh.*shrugs*

You're in the US, no? Do they understand that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

amadhouse.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ouch Karoma.

I say 'buck'. To all those rhyme it with hook people, some people say hoo-keh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

simu wrote:
    You're in the US, no? Do they understand that?

I am, I get made fun of on a daily basis. Today I was talking about Van Gogh and pronounced "van-goff" and was told I was wrong, it was meant to be "van-go". :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lucille

what kind of eejit told u that?thats a /x/-sound at the end of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My fiancee says "book" with the long O sound as in "root", but she's from Dundalk so that's Okay. I say it the "normal" way, - as in rhyming with "look" - and no, not "buck" - I don't get how some people can't see the subtle difference between "book" (rhyming with "look"), and "buck" (my fiancée can't, for example...)

[ Oh luke! Luke at the cuke buke I tuke off the cuke! ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bouk (short ou)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Easca

Bard wrote:
    My fiancee says "book" with the long O sound as in "root", but she's from Dundalk so that's Okay. I say it the "normal" way, - as in rhyming with "look" - and no, not "buck" - I don't get how some people can't see the subtle difference between "book" (rhyming with "look"), and "buck" (my fiancée can't, for example...)

[ Oh luke! Luke at the cuke buke I tuke off the cuke! ]
    It depends on how you pronounce look.

Advertisement