Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Options
  • 29-06-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Haven't gotten into a Pearl Jam album this much, since Ten all those years ago.

The amount its grown on me with each listen is astounding. I'd go as far to say that repeated listens are not only recommended, but necessary to appreciate this album.

I wonder if some of the other albums are similar, can't say I've given them much in the way of repeated listens.

Oh... and Mirrorball :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I totally agree, whenever im listening to it ive never skipped a song. Some songs arent very strong on their own, but in the grand scheme of the album, they sound great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

The only fairly not great songs are 'Big Wave' and I aint a fan to much of 'Parachutes'. Everything else is quality!
    If you havent listened to much PJ since 10, you really need to listen to Vitalogy, No Code (it will really grow on you), Yield (most definately!). The 2 albums following these are good (more so Riot Act) but not their best. New album is best since Yield.
    It'd be in my top 3

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Have to say when I got the album i was a fan of it, but I haven't been listening to it on the headphones so I must give it a try....cant stop listening to VS lately though....roll on August!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Pearl Jam? Did someone say Pearl Jam?

The new album's good alright but it's far from their best. My personal favourite is Vitalogy which shows off Pearl Jam at their strongest and weakest. It's mostly great though so don't let the few duds put you off.

Having said that, if you're enjoying the new album I'd recommend Yield as it's closest in terms of sonics to what they're doing now.

They're an acquired taste though, you really do have to work a little to like some of their work. In particular I am thinking of No Code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Y'know, lately I'm seeing a lot of negativity towards Riot Act which I think is unjust. Riot Act is IMHO way better than the current album. The current album just seems to be PJ by the numbers. All the songs fall into one of two categories: 1) Eddie's singing like he did on Blood (which was great on one song, not so great across a whole album), and 2) ballads

Having spent a week listening to the current album, I find that most songs fall into category 1 above, and most end up sounding the same. I love PJ. I've loved all their albums from Ten onwards (with the exception of No Code which eventually grew on me, and Binaural which actually has good songs but bad production IMO). In my years of listening to PJ, this album is the only one to illicit a "meh" response, making it the least interesting album they've released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

I'm absolutely loving the new album. Yeah, it sounds like a grown-up version of 'ten' and it takes a while to get into, but it's just brilliant "repeat play" disc-man music. I can't wait for the gig in August.

I've taken a while to get into each of Pearl Jam's albums, and I think that's a good thing. Sometimes if a song/album hits you straight off - the novelty wears off and you end up not listening it to it for long. Whereas, with most PJ albums - Vitalogy in particular - you can hear something new with each listen.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Is the vocal style still 'grawling'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

magpie...what's "grawling"?!??!

if ur an old-school pearl jam fan, ur gonna love the new album. if not, ur just gonna hav 2 listen to every album since 'ten' and then give an opinion?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I had high hopes for the new PJ album and was excited to get my paws on it... when I did I was a bit dissappinted. Its ok, nothing spectacular.... just running along on the same line as the stuff they played since Ten/VS/Vitalogy era finished and they started getting older and (Neil)Younger. Why can Eddie not sing with such power as he did back then? I find his vocals annoying now, ... too weedy. Also, every since he picked up a guitar the riff writing on the likes of Ten and Vs has went rapidly downhill. It seems that the rest of the band are happy for him to write the structure of songs and they play around it. As an average guitarist Eddie is never going to come up with the likes of Alive, Even Flow, YellowLedBetter riffs which have you rocking your ceann to the pulse.

Pity :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've liked the album since I started listening to it, but now like it a lot more due to repeated listens.
    At first, the opening 3 tracks caught my interest and the rest of the album didn't feel anywhere near as strong. But now after several listens, most of the songs that I at first dismissed have grown to become the gems of the album for me ("Come Back", "Gone" & "Inside Job").
    In my opinion, it's a very fine album indeed, and gets better with time. Their best since No Code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Not heard the new album

1 Vitalogy
    2 No Code
    3 Riot Act
    4 Yield
    5 Vs
    6 Binaural
    7 Ten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I'd say Ten is their worst album by far, think the new one is quite good, a big improvement on riot act with more parts i like and less parts i don't like. Yield is probably my favourite followed closely by vs, no code and vitalogy.
    Lookin forward to seeing them in Paris (just hope McCreedy doesn't go overboard :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Interested to see comments on the new Pearl Jam album as I don't have it yet. As a fan of the band I used to go out and buy Pearl Jam albums pretty much straight away but I have to say I found Binaural and Riot Act a bit disappointing so I am really hoping for something better from them this time. Riot Act is definitely worth some more listening before I make up my mind for sure, but I've listened to Binaural a good bit and just think it's the poorest album they've done.
    I notice a few people consider Vitalogy to be there best album but for me it's a bit inconsistent to rate it as their best. Yield, Vs and No Code are all better IMO. And to be fair 'Ten' has aged an awful lot better than some of the other 'grunge' stuff around at that time. At this stage songs like 'Even Flow' and 'Alive' have probably lost some of their original sparkle which is understandable. But personally I still love songs like 'Garden', 'Oceans' and 'Release'.Don't think I'll ever get sick of those.
    And what's amazing about PJ is with them being such a super live band they will often give you a really different perspective on a song when you hear them play it live. A song you weren't overly excited about on an album could take on a new life when they play it in concert. They are one of the few bands around who actually sound better live than on cd. I'm looking forward to hearing them play some of the 'Binaural' and 'Riot Act' stuff. Because even though at the moment I'm not big into either of those albums I know some of those songs will sound new and fresh after a live performance. Know what I mean?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What a difference 17 days can make. Since my last post in this thread I must have listened to the new Pearl Jam album about 10+ times. It totally rocks! I cannot believe how much it has grown on me. Even my girlfriend who generally dosen't listen to this type of music is humming along and singing to it. I am really suprised how a few days of a break from listening to it and then a few more listens really cleared out my ears and made me like this so much.

I'd give it 8.5 out of Ten (pardon the pun). Its up there with the first three, i.e Ten/VS/Vitalogy... and certainly in a different league to the rest of the stuff.

I urge you to go listen a few more times and re-discover it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Aye, some sort of experience here. It just takes a little while to sink in I think :)

Great album, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barberella

hi can you tell me where you are staying in paris or can you recomend anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

aidan24326 wrote:
    Interested to see comments on the new Pearl Jam album as I don't have it yet. As a fan of the band I used to go out and buy Pearl Jam albums pretty much straight away but I have to say I found Binaural and Riot Act a bit disappointing so I am really hoping for something better from them this time. Riot Act is definitely worth some more listening before I make up my mind for sure, but I've listened to Binaural a good bit and just think it's the poorest album they've done.
    I notice a few people consider Vitalogy to be there best album but for me it's a bit inconsistent to rate it as their best. Yield, Vs and No Code are all better IMO. And to be fair 'Ten' has aged an awful lot better than some of the other 'grunge' stuff around at that time. At this stage songs like 'Even Flow' and 'Alive' have probably lost some of their original sparkle which is understandable. But personally I still love songs like 'Garden', 'Oceans' and 'Release'.Don't think I'll ever get sick of those.
    And what's amazing about PJ is with them being such a super live band they will often give you a really different perspective on a song when you hear them play it live. A song you weren't overly excited about on an album could take on a new life when they play it in concert. They are one of the few bands around who actually sound better live than on cd. I'm looking forward to hearing them play some of the 'Binaural' and 'Riot Act' stuff. Because even though at the moment I'm not big into either of those albums I know some of those songs will sound new and fresh after a live performance. Know what I mean?
    100% agree.

Ten
    Vs
    Yield
    No Code
    Vitalogy
    Self Titled
    Binaural
    Riot Act

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Posts deleted. Can you all read this message before posting again please? Next time results in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Louisiana banned.

As people can't stop discussing what they've been asked not to discuss I'm locking this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement