Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleater Kinney split

Options
  • 28-06-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Very disappointed to hear the sad news today, they were a great band its a pity they didnt sell more records, just glad to have seen them in Dublin last August in TBMC

Taken from drowned in sound website

Drowned in Sound - music community reviews DiS Radio News

Genuinely rubbish news: Sleater-Kinney split
    Artists: Sleater-Kinney
    Riot grrrl pioneers and all-round legends split.

Formed in Portland, Oregon in 1994, all-female three-piece Sleater-Kinney released a batch of innovative, hooky and balls-out rock 'n' riot LPs and worked their way well into the heart of this DiS writer.

The band have put themselves on 'indefinite hiatus' and the shows in the US this summer will be their last (I hate how far away the US is). The trio released this statement:

"After eleven years as a band, Sleater-Kinney have decided to go on indefinite hiatus.

The upcoming summer shows will be our last. As of now, there are no plans for future tours or recordings. We feel lucky to have had the support of many wonderful people over the years. We want to thank everyone who has worked with us, written kind words about us, performed with us, and inspired us.

But mostly we want to extend our gratitude to our amazing fans. You have been a part of our story from the beginning. We could not have made our music without your enthusiasm, passion, and loyalty. It is you who have made the entire journey worthwhile."

From the dizzying songsmithery of All Hands on the Bad One to the recent successes and grandeur of The Woods and earlier fun with albums like The Hot Rock, S-K will be remembered for being an unpredictable rock band, with an always stellar live show.

There don't currently appear to be any plans for SK to bid farewell to the UK in person, but for our friends across the pond their final dates look to be:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

What!? That's terrible news- S-K are (were I guess now) one of the most talented bands of the last ten years. And I never got to see them live either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Same here. What was MCD thinking booking them the same night as Dinosaur Jr. last year?

Certainly the best all-girl rock band there is. They'll be sadly missed... hopefully this "hiatus" is, y'know, the temporary kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Holy ****! No way!! I loved teir gig last year and was praying for a return! :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Haven't heard much Sleater Kinney, however I didn't like Corin's butcher job on 'Rockin in the Free World' any time she made an appearance on a Pearl Jam stage, or 'Fortunate Son' for that matter.
    However, she does 'Hunger Strike' far better than Chris Cornell can anymore!
    I heard The Woods is supposed to be a great album?

The Woods is indeed a wonderful album, but personally I would recommend Dig Me Out. That said, with Sleater-Kinney you're fairly safe regardless of what you choose- all of their music is of a very high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Haven't heard much Sleater Kinney, however I didn't like Corin's butcher job on 'Rockin in the Free World' any time she made an appearance on a Pearl Jam stage, or 'Fortunate Son' for that matter.
    However, she does 'Hunger Strike' far better than Chris Cornell can anymore!
    In fairness, I've heard versions of Fortunate Son sung with Pearl Jam and Corin sings rings around Eddie (Gawd bless him). Her voice is amazing.

I'd love to hear her do Hungerstrike. Man, I love that song!
    Crap news about S-K splitting up, eh, I mean on hiatus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

In fairness, I've heard versions of Fortunate Son sung with Pearl Jam and Corin sings rings around Eddie (Gawd bless him). Her voice is amazing.

I'd love to hear her do Hungerstrike. Man, I love that song!
    Crap news about S-K splitting up, eh, I mean on hiatus...

Im thinking 11/7/03, my god, my ears bleed when I hear that 'Fortunate Son'!!!!

'Hunger Strike' is different though. Eddie starts singings Chris' part, then Corin takes the first portion of Eddies part, then Eddie joins in, then it ends up Corin doing chris' part, which she does fantastically.
    It only happened a few times, and probably wont happen again, but its nice to be able to see it.
    Oh, in case you didnt know, a performance of it is on 'Live at the Garden' as an easter egg. Its from the 3rd night in Mexico, 19/7/03.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Curse of Half Man Half Biscuit strikes again.

Sleater-Kinney are mentioned in Bottleneck At Capel Curig.

Other victims of the curse:

Architecture and Morality, Ted and Alice - Lady Diana Spencer

Rod Hull Is Alive - Why? - Rod Hull

Ballad Of Climie Fisher - Climie Fisher

1966 And All That - Lev Yashin

99% Of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd - Bob Todd

God Gave Us Life - Thora Hird

D'Ye Ken Ted Moult - Ted Moult

Dickie Davies Eyes - Brian Moore

Girlfriend's Finished With Him - Telly Savalas

Outbreak Of Vitas Gerulaitis - Vitas Gerulaitis

The Len Ganley Stance - Andy Warhol

Carry On Cremating - Alex Haley

Emerging From Gorse - Countdown (by extension Richard Whiteley)

Turned Up Clocked On Laid Off - Mickie Most

And then available online free!! Check It:
    It was a sad day when we all learned of Sleater-Kinney's decision to break-up. Some final shows were announced and needless to say they sold out extremely fast.

However, thanks to the geniuses (literally) at NPR, we can all see the band play once more. The August 1 Washington DC show will be streamed live on NPR and archived, so you can watch the performance as many times as you like, absolutely free.

Additionally, the band has added two final final shows in their hometown of Portland, Oregon. Portland folks are encouraged to steal, beg, borrow or maim (or all four) to get to one of the shows.

08/11 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
    08/12 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom

Ciao, ladies! See you on NPR.

0.jpg

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭the real ramon

Ta also, will definitely have to check that out - it was depressing news: there's so few good bands around at mo that when one splits you begin feel like you're getting old- ever decreasing circles etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Curse of Half Man Half Biscuit strikes again.

Sleater-Kinney are mentioned in Bottleneck At Capel Curig.

Other victims of the curse:

Architecture and Morality, Ted and Alice - Lady Diana Spencer

Rod Hull Is Alive - Why? - Rod Hull

Ballad Of Climie Fisher - Climie Fisher

1966 And All That - Lev Yashin

99% Of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd - Bob Todd

God Gave Us Life - Thora Hird

D'Ye Ken Ted Moult - Ted Moult

Dickie Davies Eyes - Brian Moore

Girlfriend's Finished With Him - Telly Savalas

Outbreak Of Vitas Gerulaitis - Vitas Gerulaitis

The Len Ganley Stance - Andy Warhol

Carry On Cremating - Alex Haley

Emerging From Gorse - Countdown (by extension Richard Whiteley)

Turned Up Clocked On Laid Off - Mickie Most

Hahaha, Dukla Prague went ****e too!

Listen and download the Washington Show

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5583923

Set List

"One Beat"
    "Not what You Want"
    "Wilderness"
    "Fox"
    "Jumpers"
    "#1 Must Have"