Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying hardware to use old type of phone

Options
  • 28-06-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Below is my current setup, I have voip software running on the PC(x-lite),
    used pictures as I wanted to make sure you understood my setup.

currentsetup.jpg

I would like to use a phone instead, either a DECT or a standard one. I understand that to do this I would need an ATA device. I could just buy one of these ATA and connect it to the router but my router does not have QOS, so I would be hesitant in doing this in case of loss of quality as there are a number of laptops connected to the wireless router so they may interfere with call quality(as far as I understand)

voip1.jpg

If I were to get an ATA as above, Is it possible to use a DECT phone with Voip? I do not know about DECT phones so I just want to make sure there are no problems with them and voip.

I also see that blueface have routers with QOS and ATA, as I already have a router, I really don’t want to buy a new one, but if it is the only way to introduce QOS I guess I’ll have to. Would it be possible to buy the netgear router they have, and put it before my router so as to have the phone off that(so I can have QOS) and connect my wireless router to that router? Do you know if that is possible, or is connecting one router to another not possible?

voip2.jpg

Thanks, and let me know if you want more info etc.

P.S. My broadband is Irish broadband breeze 1mb, I’ve been using blueface for about a year now and haven’t had problems on it yet.

P.P.S. Sorry about the pictures, I was a bit bored in work!

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

brav wrote:
    Would it be possible to buy the netgear router they have, and put it before my router so as to have the phone off that(so I can have QOS) and connect my wireless router to that router? Do you know if that is possible, or is connecting one router to another not possible?
    Sorry, I don't have answers to your other questions, but I can definitely answer that one. Having two routers is certainly possible, but you might also be able to configure things such that the you connect the two routers by their LAN ports, and not use the WAN port on the 3Com at all. This would essentially make the 3Com a wireless access point, and traffic on it's wireless ports would just be treated as LAN traffic by the netgear. You just have to make sure that both devices use the same subnet, and that only one of them is handing DHCP, and you should be set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Not exactly answering your question ..

I've the 3COM Wireless router ...
    I just got the linksys PAP2 ATA ... plugged my old bog standard phone in ... and its working perfectly

I'd had problems with the X-Lite set up I was using .. still haven't sorted it out but I'd like to ... sound quality is terrible with the x-lite for me :| not entirely sure how to fix it as there are a LOT of settings .. have heard there are problems with it and the 3com officeconnect routers..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

WOW think we should make this the new requirement for posting a question ;)

To answer the question:

You can use two routers but make sure only the one directly connected to the breeze POE does the NAT DHCP etc or you could end up with problems.

A more elegant solution is definitly a WiFi router with QoS built-in as this will be neater, would reccommend that you use a seperate ATA rather than an internal one in a router for fall over as then you won't be cut off should things go belly up.

The only issue with DECT that you should be aware of is the frequency they use is in the same band as WiFi so may lead to interference between the two otherwise the ATA should do the job fine.

MC

BTW Nice pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

thanks for the replies!

Ya I was wondering about the DHCP, i will prob go for the new router as I would like QOS(my internet is used a lot) and just leave the wireless as an access point as e said.

@error9, ive had no problems with the xlite except every so often i have to use the audio tuning wizard to get the microphone to work, so it can be annoying.

@MunsterCycling, do you happen to know if the DECT is at one end of the band or does it vary on model, say will I be better setting my wireless to 4 instead of 11 for example.

Thanks for the answers

Advertisement